Update (pg. 2) - Pretty sure girls ... Ameraucana or EE's

Well no crowing, but my daughters caught it mounting Nala. Now they say it must go. Question if we keep it. Fertility ... new to this, so bare with me. If we collect eggs through out the day and fridge them, process stops right? We aren't set up for chicks right now, but would like to in the future. How do you check for fertile eggs - dark room with a flashlight? What exactly would I be looking for? A neighbor has a broody I could put eggs under if they are a go. None of ours are broody.

Well, you found a Craigslist gem!!!
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I would keep him. That doesn't mean you'll have chicks any time soon. Just don't incubate the eggs. The hen might not go broody but she can do that weather you have a roo or not. I am so jealous. Congrats
wee.gif

The guy I got him from doesn't have any to swap with, so we will probably keep him. As long as aren't incubated, they will just be eggs, right?

Quote:
The "process" won't start unless the eggs are a few days into incubaton, so no need to worry there. Refrigerating them is fine. You can eat fertile eggs just the same as regular eggs. If you want to test for fertility you can crack open an egg and look for the "bullseye". BUT if he has been mounting her and actually getting the deed done you can probably bet they are fertile.
smile.png

Hope this helps!

Update:

Cena has crowed and mounted - Roo it is! I think the first pic of the two is a good one to be able to tell the difference. Combs are different, tail held different, sort of can see the saddle feathers on Cena.

Back
Top Bottom