UPDATE: Sizzle gender confirmation...I think it's a boy

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
Well, after a couple more weeks of observation and development, I'm starting to think Jemima might in fact be a Jerimiah. If so I need to contact the seller asap to exchange for a hen, so let me know if I'm guessing well please! Haha

Physical/behavioral indications of being a male: (now about 3 months old)
- I have found that I have a pretty dang good roo-dar. Been 100% right thus far this season
- Tid-bitting behavior observed at 1 month old (picking up food and chirping until one of the pullets ate it)
- When introduced to my hatched cochins, this chick aggressively went after the two roos for an extended period of time while leaving the females alone
- When introduced along with the two d'uccle broodermates it had, the sizzle and the d'uccles formed a differed group from the others
- More brown feathers are popping up
- comb development is comparable to my silkie roo of the same age, maybe even bigger
- Just noticed reddening in the waddles and around the corners of his beak
- Biting behavior
- Vocalizations are identical to the ones made by the previous head roo (cochin), minus the crowing
- Upright stance

Updated pics from just now:

DSCN2869.jpg

DSCN2871.jpg

DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN2877.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg

And a video, to see his stance, vocalizations, and response to (me) crowing
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
what orangeish brown color? the 3 random brown feathers? how come that makes you think boy? The other color is from dustbathing in dirt
tongue.png

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say girl. Only because of the small comb. I have sizzles and I'm never sure until I hear a crow or see a roo breed with it AND see an egg laid by it. lol. But so far I've managed to pick out all girls when I make my picks and sell the rest.
thumbsup.gif
I'm sure by pure luck.

My vote is a girl. Pretty too. I need one that color.

splashs tend to be two colors only. when a thrid color or a different color starts to show up after a couple of months, it normally means rooster. I have on my self that just started getting that same color showing up on its back and wings, and its a he and not a splash. this is before the second color started showing up
momchick001.jpg

First post updated!!!
I think it's a boy, but would like a few more opinions before I call up the breeder and exchange him
smile.png

It's now around 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom