Update. The Great Debate: Is it the incubator or the egg?

Okay, I carefully cracked open the five eggs that did not hatch. All the chicks were fully formed (so sad). They were very wet. One was kind of gooey, but the other four were soaked. My guess is that they all drown. So, I am assuming that my humidity was too high.

So now the question is, what to do with the eggs I am going to move to the hatcher today. They were all incubated the same way the last ones were. If they are already too wet, should try to dry hatch them? I need some advice here.

Okay, I carefully cracked open the five eggs that did not hatch. All the chicks were fully formed (so sad). They were very wet. One was kind of gooey, but the other four were soaked. My guess is that they all drown. So, I am assuming that my humidity was too high.

So now the question is, what to do with the eggs I am going to move to the hatcher today. They were all incubated the same way the last ones were. If they are already too wet, should try to dry hatch them? I need some advice here.

ouch... sorry about your babies.. but I figured the humidity was too high

the gooey one is a "sticky chick".. the goo being the albumen which didn't get absorbed/dry up since the humidity was too high.. when a sticky chick does manage to hatch the egg white starts to dry and becomes rock hard.. it glues the chick into it's shell and ends up keeping it from breathing and hatching as it dries.. kind of like a bug trapped in amber as it hardens

for the ones you are moving today.. go dry just to see..the humidity will shoot up as soon as they start to hatch which is why I'm not concerned about adding more moisture
but chances are once they pip the inner membrane they will hit liquid in the air cell.. if that happens they will most likely drown ... hopefully you have some that don't.. but another thing to keep in mind is that they may end up being VERY sticky and need help getting unglued..

it's too late to undo any damage.. but hopefully you can catch any that start to pip and haven't drowned and can be there to assist if needed

I wouldn't worry too much about shrink wrapping since they are so darn wet.. sticky chick syndrome would be my concern for any that don't drown

Of everything I have tried so far on chicken eggs, incubating at 30 to 35% up until lock down works best for me. I have recently lowered lock down humidity to 50% because once they start hatching there is always a surge in humidity, and I always start loosing chicks at that point. In fact, I just hatched one today at around 35% because I forgot to check the reservoir yesterday, and it hatched out easily. I did add a bit of water as it zipped, and waiting to see how the rest hatch.

As far as your situation, I have no advice.

Last edited:
ok.. they look like there's no excess liquid in the air cell.. the air cells do look a little small in a few.. I would put them all in the hatcher anyway and keep my fingers crossed if I were you.. I would still run the hatcher a little dry and be on the lookout for some sticky chicks...

Try letting your humidity fall to about 18% before adding water back. and POOF you will have more chicks then you can shake a stick at.

HUH? I'm confused. the best way that I have found to make sure your humidity is good is to keep an eye on the air cells in a couple of your eggs my humidity goes between 30% and 50% and i try to keep it between 60% and 80% during the hatch

Back
Top Bottom