Update. The Great Debate: Is it the incubator or the egg?

Update! Day 20. We have CHICKS! 1 out. 1 almost out and 3 pips. That's 5 out of 13 eggs so far. First chick looks perfect not too wet, not too dry. I added no water during lockdown and humidity was around 20%. I added about a tablespoon of water when I started to see pips to bring up the humidity during hatching. It is only day 20, so there is plenty of time for the others to get out. But even if I only get five. That is still my best hatch rate ever.

I know you want a look, so here you go.

Last edited:
Update! Day 20. We have CHICKS! 1 out. 1 almost out and 3 pips. That's 5 out of 13 eggs so far. First chick looks perfect not too wet, not too dry. I added no water during lockdown and humidity was around 20%. I added about a tablespoon of water when I started to see pips to bring up the humidity during hatching. It is only day 20, so there is plenty of time for the others to get out. But even if I only get five. That is still my best hatch rate ever.
wee.gif

YAY!!! Congrats!

celebrate.gif

WOW! CONGRATS! I go into lockdown today!

I know you want a look, so here you go.

Two hatched fine, but the third one was sticky. I have three more pips that have bee there since this morning. Not sure what is going on. Going to try increasing humidity.

well the sticky ones are from the humidity being too high during incubation (hence the albumen not being absorbed/drying).. i warned you that it could happen.. and the best thing you can do is to TRY to soak up some of that excess goo before it hardens... once it starts to harden the chick becomes encased in it like a bug in amber .. most of the time they will drown in it or it will constrict their breathing to the point they suffocate.. plus the struggling and fighting against it doesn't help them any

so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place with the stickier ones.. if you intervene too soon you can kill them by rupturing a vein.. if you wait to long they weaken or drown... even by assisting at the right time the chick may have other problems from retaining too much fluid.. so the best you can do is hope for the best

I know many people would write them off at that point.. but I have a feeling you want to try to save as many as possible.. and there's nothing wrong with that.. just be prepared that they might not make it

Okay, the sticky chick is fighting his little heart out. How do I get this glue off off him? I know it is a risk, but he will die either way? Time for hail mary pass here. He is strong, but looks like he is covered in supper glue. He does not seem to be able to keep his balance and false over on his back. I have tried swabbing him with warm water and a cotton ball and it seems to help and for a while the glue moistens up. But it soon drys again and he false over and starts trembling. I have got a lot of it off and he seem to still have a lot of fight in him. What else can I do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom