Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
Has anyone noticed a difference between broody raised chicks and chicks that come from the feed store?  My feed store chicks had runny, stinky poo and I gave them Corid at 4 weeks although they were not showing any signs of being sick.  Their poops improved after the Corid, so I think it was the right choice to give it as a "preventative" for them.

Now I have 9 chicks I hatched with a broody.  I was going to get the Corid out to mix in their water.  They are living outside and in a horse stall that has had many chick/chickens in it, plus they free range.  However, the chicks look great and their poops are solid and a normal green color.  They seem so much more healthy than the first batch of chicks.  (I lost one of them at a day old because the mom killed it.  Everyone else is fat and sassy.)   I wasn't sure if this is a typical difference, or a just a coincidence.  

It has been my experience that broody raised chicks are much healthier. Never had pasty butt in broody raised chicks . Momma knows best.

Ohh I didn't know Corid was an antibiotic. I agree with you on that. I do not want them to build an immunity to it at all. Mine are all on probiotics already so that's all they get.
I did not say it was an antibiotic i said it depends on what you are trying to prevent.
This is what i read about corid
Technically, it's an anti parasitic compound since coccidia are protozoa, whereas antibiotics are used against bacteria. It's only antimicrobial effect is on coccidia.

Wonderful info in this post Thank You... My girls are on their 5th day of Corid after I found very bloody stools in their coop.Today is the second day of no blood anywhere... YEA!!! There were no signs of not feeling well. They never slowed down on our daily gossip sessions lol So hopefully they are all going to be fine. (I have 21 girls in this coop @ 19 weeks old)
QUESTIONS...

1. Should I continue the Corid for two more days?

2. I have been sadly tossing the eggs out while on Corid, how much longer will the eggs be non-edible? Four are laying at this time & my husband sheds a tear with every brown egg we lose, lol he loves them!

3. I want to do a "super" clean up in the coop. Any suggestions for a good disinfectant? My husband was raised on a farm and he said they used to hose & scrub their coop then throw lime everywhere, any thoughts on this method? I know bleach is too toxic. I just want it really clean for my girls :)

4. We have a second coop in the barn which houses 100 -14 week old hens & roosters. Wondering if I should put them on a preventive dose of Corid for five days? I have not seen any signs but do not want anything to spread to them. The two separate coops never mix together.

[COLOR=2F4F4F]Wonderful info in this post Thank You... My girls are on their 5th day of Corid after I found very bloody stools in their coop.Today is the second day of no blood anywhere... YEA!!! There were no signs of not feeling well. They never slowed down on our daily gossip sessions  lol So hopefully they are all going to be fine. (I have 21 girls in this coop @ 19 weeks old)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=2F4F4F]QUESTIONS...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2F4F4F]1. Should I continue the Corid for two more days?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2F4F4F]2. I have been sadly tossing the eggs out while on Corid, how much longer will the eggs be non-edible? Four are laying at this time & my husband sheds a tear with every brown egg we lose, lol he loves them![/COLOR]

[COLOR=2F4F4F]3. I want to do a "super" clean up in the coop. Any suggestions for a good disinfectant?  My husband was raised on a farm and he said they used to hose & scrub their coop then throw lime everywhere, any thoughts on this method? I know bleach is too toxic. I just want it really clean for my girls :)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2F4F4F]4. We have a second coop in the barn which houses 100 -14 week old hens & roosters. Wondering if I should put them on a preventive dose of Corid for five days? I have not seen any signs but do not want anything to spread to them. The two separate coops never mix together. [/COLOR]

I toss the eggs for a week after the last dose. There is conflicting information out there, on the label I have it says ' no egg withholding period ' , but then I read a study that clearly stated that traces of the drug were still detected 48 hours later.
Virkon is the best disinfectant on the market. It is used in most hospitals here.

http://www.neogen.com/animalsafety/pdf/ProdInfo/Tech_Bulletins/VirkonS.pdf

i have never had a chicken that was old enough to lay eggs, have cocci. i give my hen raised chicks and my incubated chicks medicated feed at least for the first month to 8 weeks.

I have a question about changing out the water that has been dosed w Corid. It is pretty hot here--near 90 and their water is in an Igloo 5 gallon cooler. The water is in the shade and usually gets refilled about once per week and stays pretty cool. Can I dose the whole 5 gallons? Will is stay effective for a week? I am treating 10 hens...age range from 4 months to 1 1/4 years.

TIA!

(we had one die, had a necropsy done and said she had moderate to severe cocci so I want to treat the whole group)

Last edited:
I have a question about changing out the water that has been dosed w Corid.  It is pretty hot here--near 90 and their water is in an Igloo 5 gallon cooler.  The water is in the shade and usually gets refilled about once per week and stays pretty cool.  Can I dose the whole 5 gallons?  Will is stay effective for a week?  I am treating 10 hens...age range from 4 months to 1 1/4 years.

TIA!

(we had one die, had a necropsy done and said she had moderate to severe cocci so I want to treat the whole group)

No , it has to be mixed daily with fresh water to be effective. Yes it is best to treat the entire flock.

http://www.interchemie.com/veterinary-products/coccidiostatics/amprolin-300-ws.html

Thanks, I figured it would have to be done daily.

But that site says not to give it to hens you are going to eat eggs from. I thought you could if you waited 2-7 days depending on the source??

Thanks, I figured it would have to be done daily.

But that site says not to give it to hens you are going to eat eggs from.  I thought you could if you waited 2-7 days depending on the source??

That is a European website , the laws vary from country to country. This is the one I use and it clearly says ' no withholding ' . Could also be the strength 200 verses 300 . The threat to humans is more thiamine based. Thiamine deficiency in humans can also cause neurological disorders .

http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications?product_id=82

Back
Top Bottom