Upgrade prefab

Bdumoch

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
Prescott, az
Very new and inexperienced, that being said I was wondering if something could be done to upgrade this? Alternative thought was to buy an xl plastic dog house and adding a nesting box and roost post. Ultimately looking for 2 maybe 3 chickens. Overall hoping to help with an annual spider problem in our yard. Free range otherwise in northern az where we got very hot and snow.
https://www.wayfair.com/Tucker-Murp...E57y_MoLwLrJufqwihf1BhTVWDS24P_AaAiL3EALw_wcB

For spiders I sprinkle food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) around our house and it keeps them and ants out of our house and cuts down on them altogether.

For the prefab, most folks in this forum would advise you not to buy prefabs as they are always too small and don't last. If you must, your idea would probably work, but it'd be better if you could try find a shed or something like it on Marketplace or CraigsList first as remodeling something like that would last much longer and most likely already as roomy as you wanted.

Actual floor space of the coop is about 5 sq ft, by my estimate, which is enough room for a single standard bird.

Maybe look into a hoop coop, with a shade cloth cover to help with heat in summer?

Ah Az as well, for better specifics I’m in Prescott

Would something like this be better? How much ventilation would I need to add? High, low?

Attachments

• IMG_0132.png
    IMG_0132.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
If heat is a major issue you're looking at wanting an entire wall (or equivalent thereof) to be open or wire mesh.

Here's a thread with many different open air coop designs/ideas to give you examples of what works well in hotter climates: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wanted-open-air-coop-pics.1489579/
It’s more heat at night, day time ideally they’ll have the yard to roam as they please. Would a 12x12 louvre and a 300 cfm exhaust fan temp control work for summer nights? I figure winter just turn off the fan at use the two vents open air, and again, free range all day.

It’s more heat at night, day time ideally they’ll have the yard to roam as they please. Would a 12x12 louvre and a 300 cfm exhaust fan temp control work for summer nights? I figure winter just turn off the fan at use the two vents open air, and again, free range all day.
I don't have any experience with using exhaust fans so hopefully someone can pipe in with their experience with using one.

Back
Top Bottom