Urgent. Adult chicken can't walk nor stand, breathes with a strange sound, lies down, very big crop, has diarrhea.

Dimitar Zlatanski

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
Hi there, I have e favorite adult chicken who is looking very bad. I noticed it just now. Put her in a cardboard box with some straw to be alone.

She is an adult chicken, lying down on one side as it looks like. She cannot walk, not even stand on her feet. Whe she breathes I can hear a strange sound, as if she is snores. Her crop is very big, maybe unusually big. I guess the size of what my handful can fit or bigger. I don't know about anything unusual she may have eaten, and she has been in the same place with the other chicken and one male. She has diarrhea, as I noticed. My mom and sister gave her some antibiotics and selenium. I was able to dip her beak in a cup of water and she swallowed a few times, but her crop seems very big, and I think it feels full. Otherwise I would have thought it might be a ruptured air sac.

I really need some advice and help; what could it be and what else can I do?

I try to provide photos! Thank you!

Attachments

• 16522044428685957183840300639300.jpg
    16522044428685957183840300639300.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 16522045640672398241905648439751.jpg
    16522045640672398241905648439751.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 4
I think there is a problem with the crop. I am looking at her now and the crop is very big. It is hard to the touch, and when I did touch it to check a few drops of liquid came out of her mouth. There is something going on but I don't know what. They are eating a blend of some grains, like wheat, corn, sunflower. Sometimes we give them grass and greens.

My mom and sister gave her some antibiotics and selenium. I was able to dip her beak in a cup of water and she swallowed a few times, but her crop seems very big, and I think it feels full.

I think there is a problem with the crop. I am looking at her now and the crop is very big. It is hard to the touch, and when I did touch it to check a few drops of liquid came out of her mouth. There is something going on but I don't know what. They are eating a blend of some grains, like wheat, corn, sunflower. Sometimes we give them grass and greens.

Where are you located in the world?

What is the second photo - is that her back, tail? Do you see any bugs crawling on her?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Do you provide a nutritionally balanced poultry feed, grit and/or oyster shells for your hens?

She was given antibiotics, which one and how much?
How much Selenium?

If her crop is emptying, then you will want to treat that symptom. Instructions are in the link below.
Keep in mind that often when a crop is not emptying it's because of another illness or condition.
With your hen having lost mobility, she may have disease like Marek's or some type of reproductive disorder.
Could she have eaten anything moldy, rotten, toxic, compost, dead?

I would try to keep her hydrated but take care that she doesn't aspirate. Holding the cup for her to drink from is a good idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hello @Wyorp Rock, thank you for the quick and detailed answer!

I am located in Bulgaria, southern part about 460 meters above sea level.

They are 8 female chickens in a flock and regularly lay eggs, but I am not sure when this one laid last time.

I really don't know which antibiotic and how much was given. I think it was diluted with water. Amount: I think I heard 3 small syringe-fulls of very diluted antibiotic. Maybe a few milliliters. But I don't know what type.

I don't usually feed them with regular poultry feed, because we grind our own feed. It contains wheat, some corn, some sunflower. As far as I know. I am caring for them sometimes, others are looking after and feeding for the most part.

We give them egg shells instead of the oyster shells because we don't have any available.

I asked the others about something unusual that she may have eaten, but it didn't seem like anyone knew about something like that. Unfortunately.

Is your hen able to poop?
If she's not pooping, then I would feel inside her vent about 1-2" to feel for an egg.

It can be really hard to know what is making her unwell. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I'd continue with giving her water and the medication like your family is doing.
If her crop doesn't empty overnight, then you may want to read through the article I linked and begin treating that. Coconut oil is what I usually start with and see if that helps get things moving.

Is your hen able to poop?
If she's not pooping, then I would feel inside her vent about 1-2" to feel for an egg.

It can be really hard to know what is making her unwell. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I'd continue with giving her water and the medication like your family is doing.
If her crop doesn't empty overnight, then you may want to read through the article I linked and begin treating that. Coconut oil is what I usually start with and see if that helps get things moving.
Thank you for your help, I will do as you say, and hope for the best. Have a nice evening @Wyorp Rock

If her crop is very large and hard, it sounds like impacted crop. You’ll need to get her to a vet to open the crop and pull the wad of stuff out of there. If there isn’t a vet near you there are YouTube videos on how to perform the surgery. Impacted crop will lead to death so you don’t have anything to lose. How long has her crop been this large?

Back
Top Bottom