Urgent. Adult chicken can't walk nor stand, breathes with a strange sound, lies down, very big crop, has diarrhea.

Hi @Tookie, what is that and what could have caused it? Can I do something to help?
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as @Wyorp Rock, but I can somewhat try to explain.

Sour crop is a yeast infection in the crop and causes the crop to not empty properly, so the crop will empty very slowly if at all. I can be caused by many different things like worms, moldy food, injury, impacted crop and other underlying conditions.

Impacted crop is when the crop has a blockage and cannot empty properly, it can be caused by the chicken eating long pieces of food like grass, string, feathers, and straw.

I have delt with sour crop before and used garlic chunks/garlic water, greek yogurt/kefir and colloidal silver.

I have never delt with impacted crop but I would give her coconut oil and massage her crop, keep repeating that until the blockage breaks up.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, @LittleSticks @Wyorp Rock @Tookie. Thank you all for being compassionate and helped with so much important advice. I appreciate your help.

I need to tell you that, unfortunately, I found the hen not breathing around midnight... I'm very sorry. I thought she would survive to the morning so I could do something, but maybe you where right about the impacted crop. Perhaps that caused the quick death. I don't know.

Next time I see suh a crop maybe I need to do that surgery or treatment at once.

Thank you for your help and support!

Hi everyone, @LittleSticks @Wyorp Rock @Tookie. Thank you all for being compassionate and helped with so much important advice. I appreciate your help.

I need to tell you that, unfortunately, I found the hen not breathing around midnight... I'm very sorry. I thought she would survive to the morning so I could do something, but maybe you where right about the impacted crop. Perhaps that caused the quick death. I don't know.

Next time I see suh a crop maybe I need to do that surgery or treatment at once.

I'm so sorry! :hugs You did all you could!

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

If you ever have another hen that develops crop symptoms, you do want to address the symptoms with treatment.
Surgery is Last Resort, not the first course of action!

Back
Top Bottom