Urgent! Booty Bombs on my girls

IndigoAngel

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Extreme NE Indiana
I have an emergency situation on my hands with my flock re: poopy butts. Due to a massive family emergency, I have been out of town for most of the last 6 weeks - usually gone for several days, home for one or two, gone again. When I returned home this weekend, after a 9 day absence, I found that most of my girls have seriously poopy bottoms, some of them with actual turd masses stuck in feathers. I am suspecting that this is because the waterers were not kept clean; water was changed daily but the waterers themselves (some open dishes, others gravity fed dispensers) were filthy. I have to leave again on Thursday, most likely for at least 10 days. I need to know what I can do about this stat and what will have to be done in my absence. I've been all over this site, but I'm not sure if I should be doing probiotics or what. Pics are of the two worst cases, the worst of which is on my lazy squatter (who receives bottom baths frequently- if I could train her on a bidet, I would!)

IMG_4490.JPG
Untitled.jpg

I agree, poop butts are the pits. But more important is having clean water. Open containers need to be cleaned and refilled daily. The alternative is to get enclosed five gallon or more coolers with nipple dispensers. This way, the water remains clean and does not need to be refilled every day.
I have a couple of the covered buckets with nipples; they prefer the gravity fed like this. I will remove the open dishes before I leave again but I don't know how to address what's already been done. :(

Also, from reading other threads, I did follow the advice to trim the poopy feathers. They look a little better but if their gut is off I want to help them
I'm not sure what the weather has been like there, but it has been HOT here for what seems like forever. The hotter it is the more they drink which makes their stools looser. Me personally, if I have a lady whose booty is getting a bit raggedy I pick her up like a football (head in towards my elbow, legs between my fingers) and with the other hand use the garden hose on shower and spray all that business off then snip any pieces that aren't cooperating hen send them on their way

I'm not sure what the weather has been like there, but it has been HOT here for what seems like forever. The hotter it is the more they drink which makes their stools looser. Me personally, if I have a lady whose booty is getting a bit raggedy I pick her up like a football (head in towards my elbow, legs between my fingers) and with the other hand use the garden hose on shower and spray all that business off then snip any pieces that aren't cooperating hen send them on their way
We did have several miserably hot days, but it has been much cooler recently. I was giving baths to one of the ladies, as she is a lazy squatter. I'm more concerned that something is going on with their health

Back
Top Bottom