URGENT!! Broilers not thriving

blackandtan

Crowing
Aug 30, 2016
Thunder Bay Ontario canada
After always reading about other folks troubles, it’s finally my turn!
I’ve had many batches of chicks over the years and I’ve only rarely lost one when they’re small; I buy from a reputable hatchery, they all arrived seemingly healthy, I have 20 broilers and 6 poults in the brooder, they’re 6 days old. Everyone is on chick starter with Amprolin, and electrolytes in the water. The Turks seem normal, eating well and scampering around between naps, they also seem comfortable with the brooder temperature too.
On day four the broilers seemed chilled, they don’t want to leave the heat lamp and crowd under it (turkeys still happy). On day five a few broilers seem to be struggling to breathe, gasping and activity is low, (turkeys still happy).
This morning, day six, I found three broilers on their backs, I flipped them over but they’re really lethargic and more are gasping, I can even hear one gurgling but I can’t tell who, and they barely move from the heat lamp. What gives? The turkeys seem completely normal and happy with the temp, I put a second heat lamp but I don’t know what else I can do - there are three chicks definitely circling the drain.

So far I’m the only one out there replying to my own thread...it would be funny if so many of my little guys hadn’t already died. Does ANYONE have ANY suggestions, PLEASE!?!

I only have a few chicks left and every time I look in the brooder another one has keeled over, I have a huge bag of dead babies!
I should also point out that this is the first time I’ve raised a batch of chicks without using Oxy-tetra in their water for the first two weeks, because it is now banned in Canada without a prescription, and it is also the first time I’ve ever lost a chick! Help!!!!!!

So far I’m the only one out there replying to my own thread...it would be funny if so many of my little guys hadn’t already died. Does ANYONE have ANY suggestions, PLEASE!?!

I only have a few chicks left and every time I look in the brooder another one has keeled over, I have a huge bag of dead babies!
I should also point out that this is the first time I’ve raised a batch of chicks without using Oxy-tetra in their water for the first two weeks, because it is now banned in Canada without a prescription, and it is also the first time I’ve ever lost a chick! Help!!!!!!
Sorry you lost you babies.. I don't have any help.for you (new to raising chicks) but maybe if I comment your post will be seen :-( did you check the temperature with thermometer?

I would definitely start by separating any of the ones that seem off from the ones that are healthy. But other then that it would seem your doing everything you can already

do you know what strain of cornish cross they are? I've been raising cx for about 5 years. the first year I had terrible luck, several died. I was so repulsed by the experience I almost didn't try again. from that point on I started making changes to reduce mortality. things can go sideways with CX very fast, it's important to get them started on the right foot and stay on top of any issue that crops up.

after doing some research and lucking out with finding a hatchery that would spend some time talking with me about the nitty gritty, I decided to give the COBB 500 strain of CX a try. they are more perky than most cx strains and stay active for much more of the grow out. I also got rid of the open waterer which seemed to turn into a breeding ground for bacteria, I switched to nipple waterers. I also made an industrial version of a mother heating pad and ditched the heat lamp, forcing them into a 12 hour on 12 hour off food cycle without actually taking the food away (this makes them sleep at night and eliminated splayed leg and joint problems that these fast growing birds are known for).

I'm guessing that something is out whack that the above might remedy but it's hard to say without getting more of details about your set up.

these birds run hot, they have something like 10X the metabolism of a regular chicken. if they get overheated they will suffer, they must have a way to get away from the heat and cool down when they want. they eat and excrete so much that bad bacteria can easily take hold and wipe out a bunch of them. I use deep litter (dirt) and lots of space to help spread them out and reduce concentrated excrement from building up (they dig and scratch the deep litter into mounds, burying their droppings), to help prevent bad bacteria from building up too much. I tend to have pretty good growth and a low mortality rate using these methods.

I'm really sorry for your losses and that you were alone for it. It's a horrible feeling when you're desperate for help and nobody says anything. Even if they can't offer help it's nice to be heard and feel that someone is at least with you in your hour of need.

I don't know what to say either. I agree that you should separate out the well ones from the sick ones, though at this point I feel like they've all probably been exposed to the same thing (whatever it is). Your brooder isn't drafty at all, is it?

Back
Top Bottom