URGENT! Chicken layer feed has "dead animal bodies" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen my mothers dogs eat their own poop ....
sickbyc.gif
and then come and want to lick you
ep.gif
EEWWWW.

That aside - I've seen my girls pick through their own poop on occassion. There are also some species - can't remember which - I saw it on the discovery channel one night - they MUST eat the poop from their parent to get essential bacteria in order to survive and "jump start" their own systems. I just don't think it's necessary to put into a feed product.

Anyway - back to the OP - I really doubt that animals from the pound are being used in feed products - as others have said, the liability issues aren't worth the risk of the chemical contaminants. Many use scare tactics and don't even know the real facts before advertising about them.

But that doesn't mean they don't use animal by products from animals that have been electrocuted or slaughtered by a means other than chemichal injection. I'm not sure - but I don't think most pounds or pet animal shelters would use such methods on cats and dogs.

I feed Purina because it's the best I've found around that I can afford. The Dumor makes their poop really stinky.

From the BYC rules:
2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure - but I don't think most pounds or pet animal shelters would use such methods on cats and dogs.

Sadly, a significant % of pounds still use gas chambers, especially in poorer rural areas. So it is feasible that dogs and cats killed by these methods could be rendered. However, incineration is TMK far more common. Overall, I still don't quite see the moral difference between dogs/cats being used in feed vs. pigs/cattle, though. If we're going to kill them, why not put them to good use? Euthanasia is very sad but it needn't be very wasteful.​

Last edited:
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
I think the use of poop in cattle feed is to increase the amount of urea in the diet because cattle can use urea to increase protein creation. Urea is one of the many lovely chemicals that give chicken manure its particlularly lovely aroma
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Don't do any research on fishing practices, you'll end up like me, guilty about everything I eat and everything I feed my animals.
sad.png

u should do more research instead of taking the word of a single ad.

the also make vegetarian chicken feed, which would probably be better then just table scraps alone.

Quote:
Hi,

I know digusting. And you do need to check and read lables. As with all pet foods and feed you have to watch for the terms "crude protein and crude fat". Crude is just that CRUDE. It's all the parts of animals along with downer cows, pigs, veternarian remains, euthanized animals, etc. It's bad stuff. So buy feed and all your pet food that has a complete list of ingrediants and don't use anything with crude fat and protein in it. I buy Modesto Milling feed for my girls!

I would go back to a layer feed for your chickens. I try and buy the best feed I can for my budget I am also looking into buying some chicken pasture grass for my girls. It has great things in there for their health and to improve the egg quality. I don't believe that animals that are euthanize at the pound are used in any way. I know here they are cremated. Do your own research and then find what works for you and your girls.

It's not that chickens can't eat animal protein. The problem is that food for non-humans can contain all sorts of nasty sources of animal protein. The common terminology is "4-D" and means "dead, dying, disabled or diseased." If you're raising chickens to become healthy "home-grown" food for yourself, why would you allow them to eat feed which contains sickly animals? Seems counter-intuitive. True, I don't have chickens of my own yet, but when I do, I'd prefer to buy vegetarian feed simply to avoid questionable animal protein, and let them get all the bugs they can catch out on the grass. And the information I presented is sanctioned by the FDA (the complaint was only that the animal protein was served raw...had it been heated to high temperatures, it would be deemed "safe"). See links below.

:)

~Christopher

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074712.htm

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

ETA

Here's a cheap and healthy way to increase protein in your chicken feed:

http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/japanesebeetles.html

From the rules:
2. No discussions about animal rights organizations​

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom