Urgent: Chicken leg injury

crystalg42

Hatching
7 Years
May 3, 2012
My RIR chick who is about 8 weeks old has an injured leg. My 3 year old dropped her about 1.5weeks ago from about 2 feet up. She seemed to be doing fine until a few days ago when she wasn't about to put any pressure on her leg. Now she can't walk at all and the leg lays under her body out straight. I am a RN so I thought I could check it out. I assessed her leg and can't figure out the problem. She seems to have the ability to move her leg when she needs to. She doesn't get upset when I touch and move her leg around. I am wondering if I should splint it or just leave her alone. I have one other chick and they are in the coop together. She doesn't seem to be bothering her. The hurt chicken just lays there. She does move around in her little space to get to her food and water. HELP! I am really worried about her. Thanks
Crystal

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 5-week-old chicken that can't put any pressure on her leg. Right now I have her in a chicken chair. The leg looks normal, she just can't walk or put any pressure on it. If I put my finger up to her foot, she can grab onto my finger - but with less strength than the good leg.

Back
Top Bottom