URGENT DUCKLING CANT STAND UP.

Here is one that didn't absorb it's yolk:

A live duckling of mine that didn't absorb it's yolk properly:

Two days later:

This is your duckling - I don't see any yolk.

Maybe @Sally Sunshine can comment.

-Kathy

I hatched 12 welsh harlequins in an incubator, but one came out of the shell with a bloody lump on top of its head. We are going on day 3. Not sure if this is relevant, but it was larger than the others. I runs and falls. It's legs are spread apart facing outward often. I have never seen it try to eat or drink. I force feed it. It runs around and stumbles. Attaching pics.

How to Spot Problems of Newly Hatched Chicks http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-spot-problems-of-newly-hatched-chicks.html

Brain exposed, too high heat at that egg or flock issues

It hatched on it's own?
no they dont come out like that, you are correct Miss Lydia
highfive.gif

after it piped there was no a actvity for 18 hours
First off, let me say hello! and then I must say.... ducks are different than chicks, they take much longer to absorb their yolk and then longer to turn in there and absorb and cut off all those blood vessels.... if you check out these posts of Rens hatch and keep track of the posting times you will see how long they take to absorb. this duck is weak and was out of the shell too soon... when you see a duck with a hole at the top, just remember that they dont zip like a chick, they have a bill that is higher and they go round and round, it takes time time time.....

Rens Duck HATCH post #12845 post #13270 post #13288 post #13334 post #14708 post #15180 post #15355

and here you may find some better ways to boost strength
Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876 USING SPONGE WEDGES post #4473

SPRADDLE Leg WEAK CHICKS Legs see post #3879 post #3876 post #4174 post #4382 post #4690 post #4693
DUCKS can have Spraddle leg too! post #15184 post #15355

How to Spot Problems of Newly Hatched Chicks http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-spot-problems-of-newly-hatched-chicks.html

Brain exposed, too high heat at that egg or flock issues no they dont come out like that, you are correct Miss Lydia :highfive: First off, let me say hello! and then I must say.... ducks are different than chicks, they take much longer to absorb their yolk and then longer to turn in there and absorb and cut off all those blood vessels.... if you check out these posts of Rens hatch and keep track of the posting times you will see how long they take to absorb. this duck is weak and was out of the shell too soon... when you see a duck with a hole at the top, just remember that they dont zip like a chick, they have a bill that is higher and they go round and round, it takes time time time..... [COLOR=FF0000]Rens Duck HATCH[/COLOR] post #12845 post #13270 post #13288 post #13334 post #14708 post #15180 post #15355 and here you may find some better ways to boost strength [COLOR=FF0000]Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks[/COLOR] post #3876 [COLOR=FF0000]USING SPONGE WEDGES[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]post #4473 [COLOR=008080]SPRADDLE Leg WEAK CHICKS Legs see[/COLOR] post #3879 post #3876 post #4174 post #4382 post #4690 post #4693 DUCKS can have Spraddle leg too! post #15184 post #15355
oh so there is no more yolk. Thank you for helping. Should I take him out of the egg then?

I would let him kick the egg free, but maybe others can comment?

-Kathy

I am surprised he hasnt, those veins look about shot, drawing anything up into it anyways, I would get him out and get a head start on electrolytes....

have corn starch on hand case he bleeds and Kathy can tell you what to put on that umbilical area then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom