URGENT DUCKLING CANT STAND UP.

Ducklings don't need as much heat as chicks, so you might want to lower the temp to 90 degrees, maybe shoot for 86-90 instead.

Do you have a syringe or eye dropper?

-Kathy
my dad is getting one now. Also, there is a duckling that is still in the egg and is absorbing the yolk still. He hatched last night. Will he be ok

Ducklings don't need as much heat as chicks, so you might want to lower the temp to 90 degrees, maybe shoot for 86-90 instead.

Do you have a syringe or eye dropper?

-Kathy
my dad is getting one now. Also, there is a duckling that is still in the egg and is absorbing the yolk still. He hatched last night. Will he be ok

Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

Here it is

Here is the one that dose not drink. It is doing something weird with his neck

Here it is

Here is the one that dose not drink. It is doing something weird with his neck
Explain what it is doing with it's neck. I'd try giving tiny bits of water just inside the bill giving it a chance to swallow each time or just drizzling along the bill . They look very sleepy which maybe the heat is too high. I've always brooded at 85-87 for first week. This one that hatched still attached to the egg, is the yolk completely absorbed now?
@casportpony may have a better way to get them to drink water though so wait to hear what she suggests.

Last edited:
I just want them all to be fine. How can I make them more energized

If they hatched yesterday they don't usually need or want to eat for first 24-36 hrs they live off the yolk they absorbed so don't worry too much about the eating part. You can start trying to encourage drinking maybe gently dip their bills into a saucer and see if they will drink on their own or do the syringe or dropper along the bill to encourage some sips.

Just like Miss Lydia said, I usually give them 24-36 hours to start drinking, and I think Miss Lydia's brooder temp suggestion is spot on. Almost everthing I just read says 86 degrees, a couple said 90, but none said 95, and I know that mine do much better if the temp is less than 90.

The one that's still in the incubator should be put an a soft, clean, dry towel and kept off the wire.

-Kathy

Just like Miss Lydia said, I usually give them 24-36 hours to start drinking, and I think Miss Lydia's brooder temp suggestion is spot on. Almost everthing I just read says 86 degrees, a couple said 90, but none said 95, and I know that mine do much better if the temp is less than 90.

The one that's still in the incubator should be put an a soft, clean, dry towel and kept off the wire.

-Kathy
Ok, the round is standing up, but in a drunken stupor

Back
Top Bottom