URGENT!!!!!Ducks pulling out wing feathers -bloody

ferretmommie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
ohio
I have 6 - 4 week old mallards and 2 - 4 week old pekins and the mallards are attacking and pulling out wing feathers and theyaer bloody .. why are they doing this and how can I stop it!!! PLEASE HELP I have seperated the 2 that I seen were doing it and now I am seeing another one do it...

could they possible have a mite problem? I'm new to ducks but I have seen Chickens do this when they have a mite issue...

Just a guess.

~Sami

yes they are still under a heatlamp but it is way up not close at all and I have them out during the day when its nice I just noticed this this afternoon when I went down to bring them all out and seen the ripped up wings and pulled out bloddy feathers , what do Id o?

Not real sure yet, but you did good seperating some of them. I've heard ducks doing this when they are too hot under a heat lamp...let me look some things up for you, hold on.

This is straight from Dave Holderread's Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks:

Feather Eating
Cannabalism of this type, where birds pull out and eat one another's feathers, is most prevalent among ducklings (especially Muscovies, Mallards, and wild species) that are brooded artificially.

Causes
Feather eating is usually the result of boredom, but can also be triggered by excessively high brooding temperature, intense light, overcrowding, an unbalanced diet, or the lack of green feed.

Treatment and Prevention
At the first sign of feather eating, check brooder temperature, reduce light intensity (using blue or red bulbs often helps), and provide ducklings with sufficient space, a balanced diet, and adequate quantities of feed. As long as ducklings are kept inside, put tender green foods such as grass, lettuce, and dandelions in front of them as much as possible. As soon as it is safe, allow ducklings access to grassy pens during the day.

Totally NOT trying to hijack but I have a Q for you 1lpoock. I keep hearing ducks love Dandelion, and our male certainly gets his share, but how do you give them to ducklings? Just drop the whole thing in, or...? lol

We let them eat grass every time we take them outside, but would like to bring more of the good stuff in to them!

I never give my ducklings the actualy flower on a dandelion, but they love the leaves. Just cut the leaves up into small pieces and either sprinkle them in their food or in their water, that way they stay succulent.

ok thank you I will remove the heat lamp I am already using a red bulb but it could be over crowding is what I am thinking I also have 6 chickens in with them but it is a pretty big brooder box but evident ally not big enough now, I also have been giving them greens but I will try more . They are eating lettuce and spinach and also have been eating bugs and worms when they are out during the day . I think now I will leave them all outside we were going to wait til sat but I think it just may be over-crowding, so I will do it now, temps look good for tonight in the 50, should that be ok , they have a house to get into?

Back
Top Bottom