URGENT female duck prolapse

pothospathos

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
Hello, my one-year-old female duck was found prolapsed? this morning two hours ago, no idea when it occurred but most likely not more than a day ago. Since I found her she's been soaking in a bath we've been applying Prep H, removing stuck feathers from the area and just trying to get it as clean as possible. But I can't be quite certain what is dead tissue and what is poop. She's as lively as ever and doesn't seem too seriously affected. She's been laying for about seven months, but no eggs recently and no hardness in the prolapse so hopefully she's not egg bound. We have a male duck that is quite aggressive toward her though and we do as much as possible to keep our girl safe.

However I think that the prolapse has protruded even more since we found her. I'm not able to find any hole or anything. In general I have no idea how to proceed, even after reading. Any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated. I will supply more pictures if necessary. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 277599208_501172411648068_6153125589971755703_n.jpg
    277599208_501172411648068_6153125589971755703_n.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 37
Thank you for the response!

Yesterday after no luck at home, I had taken her to get emergency surgery to hopefully try pushing it back in. Turns out she had 4 eggs stuck in her, one of which was broken, but they were removed and the prolapse fixed with dissolvable stitches. However it seemed to come back out when she pooped. and we've had no luck keeping the prolapse inside.
She's on antibiotics that the vet prescribed and I've been dissolving Tums in her water. No solids since I don't want too much poop to come out and make things messier. We've soaked the area and have done just about everything. Right now I'm just trying to keep the prolapse moist and give her her medications and calcium. I've also been keeping her in the dark most of the day to discourage laying. She's still energetic and seemingly unbothered but I'm not sure how much longer this can go on.

Thank you for the response!

Yesterday after no luck at home, I had taken her to get emergency surgery to hopefully try pushing it back in. Turns out she had 4 eggs stuck in her, one of which was broken, but they were removed and the prolapse fixed with dissolvable stitches. However it seemed to come back out when she pooped. and we've had no luck keeping the prolapse inside.
She's on antibiotics that the vet prescribed and I've been dissolving Tums in her water. No solids since I don't want too much poop to come out and make things messier. We've soaked the area and have done just about everything. Right now I'm just trying to keep the prolapse moist and give her her medications and calcium. I've also been keeping her in the dark most of the day to discourage laying. She's still energetic and seemingly unbothered but I'm not sure how much longer this can go on.
Any updates on your girl? I am a new duck owner dealing with a prolapse. I'm curious if your girl made it. I clicked on the link posted in reply to your post, and I am getting calcium citrate now for her, and also have her in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom