Urgent Help Needed! - Home Remedies to deal with dog bites

Florridora

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Yesterday, our neighbours two alsatian puppies managed to get into our garden and attacked three of our four girls. Luckily the dogs are only small and probably thought they were playing ... but they have inflicted damaged. Two only seem to have lost a few feathers but the other - Dolly - looks as though there are bite marks on her back and quite a lot of feathers missing.

Today we checked and her back looks very sore and the skin swollen. She is eating and drinking but is keeping herself to herself and is not the happy character she normally is (understandably). She can walk around ok but can't manage to hop up onto a low perch so we guess it's sore if she tries to flap.

The question is ... can anyone suggest what we should do to stop infection and help the healing process. We live in a small rural village in Hungary. We don't have access to a Vet easily here (and as chickens are kept only for meat and eggs ... not pets, we probably wouldn't be able to find one that would do anything except kill her anyway).

We thought about cleaning the wound with salt water. Is there anything else we could do? Can anyone suggest medication for adults / children that we could get from the local chemist and use in a smaller dosage etc?

All suggestions greatly received! This first year of poultry rearing sure has been a steep learning curve but we wouldn't be without the girls now! It's amazing how defensive you get. I don't know who is more shocked - Dolly or us!

It'

Ok so i think your chicken will be fine you need to clean the wound i used hydrogen peroxide and keep it separated because chickens will eat other chickens if they are wounded! just keep the wound clean most chickens die from infection because they are not the cleanest animals. good luck

I had a similar incident a couple days ago and found this thread REALLY helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/218311/injury-from-neighbors-dog-help

Lots of good home remedy information there. I also have a topical spray-on called Vetericyn that I think is fantastic. We got it a sample a couple years ago after a racoon attack. It worked wonders then. I know it won't help you now but I sure like having it around. You could probably order it via internet. Good luck!

You should've started out by saying it was your birds instead of saying it was your girls people could think ''oh poor people how three of thier four daughters got bit'' I am sorry this happened but many people will try to use your remidies thinking oh it might also work on people my brother got bite not that long ago now it was small but still how did i end up reading about a couple dumb birds getting bit by puppies
barnie.gif
th.gif
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom