Urgent Please Help! My pullet had mites now her eyes are closing what could this be?

Ilovesilkies420

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
My pullet was sitting on eggs and she got might so we needed to take care of it before she hatched the eggs and we started to dust her and use all the mite sprays and stuff the mites went away but left her with crusty eyes and then they started closing up please help!

Attachments

• 7D800F58-25FE-46A5-BC09-A0733F5D2317.jpeg
    7D800F58-25FE-46A5-BC09-A0733F5D2317.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 17
My pullet was sitting on eggs and she got might so we needed to take care of it before she hatched the eggs and we started to dust her and use all the mite sprays and stuff the mites went away but left her with crusty eyes and then they
What did you dust her with? Do you think you got it in her eyes? How is she doing now?
We only dusted her body with diatomaceous earth and her eyes started closing before we dusted her her eyes are completely closed now. She’s also acting a little bit lethargic.

You may have gotten some in her eyes, flushing them with water might help. It also looks like she has scales leg mites, those can also effect the face. Diatomaceous earth will not treat that, you need ivomectin. I don't know what else may be going on with her.

It looks a little suspicious for possible fowl pox. Do you have mosquitoes out right now where you live? In case it is related to mites, I would get some ivermectin to treat for that. DE is extremely irritating to the eyes and to breathing. I would flush the eyes with saline eye wash, and apply some plain Terramycin eye ointmen, plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic, or Vetericyn eye wash or gel twice a day. Here is a good article with pictures of pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

She looks like she has a respiratory issue. How long from the spray and dust did this occur?
My pullet was sitting on eggs and she got might so we needed to take care of it before she hatched the eggs and we started to dust her and use all the mite sprays and stuff the mites went away but left her with crusty eyes and then they started closing up please help!

It looks a little suspicious for possible fowl pox. Do you have mosquitoes out right now where you live? In case it is related to mites, I would get some ivermectin to treat for that. DE is extremely irritating to the eyes and to breathing. I would flush the eyes with saline eye wash, and apply some plain Terramycin eye ointmen, plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic, or Vetericyn eye wash or gel twice a day. Here is a good article with pictures of pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
We have lots of mosquitos right now I looked at pictures of foul pox and that looks like her face but hers is more severe. How can we protect the the other chickens from this?

Fowl pox is worse in hot humid climates, especially in the south and tropics. There is no treatment. There is a vaccine available for chicks over 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom