Used feeders/waterers from garage sale - okay or no?

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I bought a set of a huge galvanized feeder and waterer and heated base from a garage sale for $15. Mostly, I just wanted the heated base because they’re like $60 at the farm store here. But I have soaked the feeder and waterer in bleach and scrubbed with soap and water. Is is safe to use for my flock? The previous owner hadn’t had chickens for years and they’ve been in storage she says. Bio security - wise i would hate to use them with the risk of transmitting something to my flock. I wouldn’t be too upset if someone recommended not using them, i would just toss them. Like I said I really just wanted the heated base. Thoughts?

I can remember reading somewhere on here where someone used bleach to get rid of the green in their bowls. It killed their chickens. I would make absolutely sure there is no bleach residue in the bowls before using them to be on the safe side. I buy bowls all the time from our local Goodwill for mine but wash them very well before using them. I am afraid of bleach so I just use very hot soapy water and rinse well. Good luck with yours, sounds like you got a real deal. My galvanized waterer I bought this year from TSC rusted so I am staying away from that type now for myself.

Thanks, good suggestion. I will let them sit out for a few days. The girls are my world.
I agree. Can’t think of anything biosecurity wise that would survive years without use and a few days in the sun.

I would however keep an eye on the heater for the first couple days. Mice and other critters can wreak havoc with wiring and a fire would be tragic.

Those things only turn on when temp is below a certain point. So, just plugging it in now isn’t a guarantee of performance in the winter.

I can remember reading somewhere on here where someone used bleach to get rid of the green in their bowls. It killed their chickens. I would make absolutely sure there is no bleach residue in the bowls before using them to be on the safe side. I buy bowls all the time from our local Goodwill for mine but wash them very well before using them. I am afraid of bleach so I just use very hot soapy water and rinse well. Good luck with yours, sounds like you got a real deal. My galvanized waterer I bought this year from TSC rusted so I am staying away from that type now for myself.
Oh wow, I haven’t heard that. Scary. I do regularly use bleach to clean our waterers because the wild birds dip into them and poop in them and so far I haven’t had any issues. I will definitely make sure to clean rinse multiple times and days before using. That breaks my heart for the person who went through that. Thanks for sharing.

I agree. Can’t think of anything biosecurity wise that would survive years without use and a few days in the sun.

I would however keep an eye on the heater for the first couple days. Mice and other critters can wreak havoc with wiring and a fire would be tragic.

Those things only turn on when temp is below a certain point. So, just plugging it in now isn’t a guarantee of performance in the winter.
Another great point. I will definitely be doing this. The fact that I also can’t verify how they’ve been stored makes me nervous. But I couldn’t pass it up for $15. Luckily I work from home so I will plug it in out on a chilly day when I can watch and verify it’s working. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh wow, I haven’t heard that. Scary. I do regularly use bleach to clean our waterers because the wild birds dip into them and poop in them and so far I haven’t had any issues. I will definitely make sure to clean rinse multiple times and days before using. That breaks my heart for the person who went through that. Thanks for sharing.
You are most welcome. It's hard to get the green out without something like that so I just do a lot of scrubbing. Someone said the use of the apple cider vinegar helps to deter the algae. I have never tried it though.

Another great point. I will definitely be doing this. The fact that I also can’t verify how they’ve been stored makes me nervous. But I couldn’t pass it up for $15. Luckily I work from home so I will plug it in out on a chilly day when I can watch and verify it’s working. Thanks for the suggestion!
Look it over well and if you don’t see evidence of chewed wiring it will probably be fine.

Watching it is also good.

If you want to be overly abundantly cautious, either make sure it’s plugged into a GFCI circuit, or you could get a short GFCI extension to plug it into.

I use one myself.

One other pro tip, those galvanized metal waterers. Don’t put the top on the bottom and carry the whole thing by the top handle. It’ll eventually break the spot welds that hold the handle on and cause an air leak. Air leak = loss of vacuum = all your water slowly coming out over the course of 8-10 hours. Instead, carry by the heavier duty handle in the bottom and put the top on when you get to the coop/run.

Back
Top Bottom