Using a bantam rooster for full sized hens.

starryhen

Songster
13 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Are there any problems using a small rooster for our full sized hens? Our excellent rooster passed away. We are casually looking for a replacement. Our good rooster was very intelligent, never aggressive, somewhat small and of unknown or mixed breed since he adopted us and he produced high quality chicks. He was a bit small. To find a smallish rooster of good character I think we might get a bantam. Any suggestions? I'm not fond of the Brahams and might consider a Japanese. I have Delaware hens with plans to purchase Buff Orpingtons.

I really like my bantams, and have both Belgian d'Uccles and Easter Egger bantam roosters. The EE boys are from Cackle, and are very nice, maturing at 3lbs each.
For my standard sized hens, I have a big rooster. I'd rather keep the size in the offspring, rather than shrink them.
For behavior either size will be fine, but for breeding, at least for me, it would be a big rooster.
My avatar is a Chantecler, a very nice boy 8.5lbs, and produces nice chicks. I've been happy with others, but it's an individual thing. Raise some straight run chicks and see if there's a nice cockerel worth keeping in the group.
Mary

We have a bantam rooster who is simply too small for any of our hens, they just shake him off. Our largest hens are lavender Orpingtons and smallest are home mixes, a bit smaller than our one leghorn hen.

If your hens are used to a smaller rooster, they might accept him...

We have 4 other roosters though, so the hens don’t give the little guy a chance- not that he ever gives up!

Bantam cochins are large bantams. We had one and he was able to breed with the leghorns, no problem. Now I am raising some Spitzhaubens from Cackle Hatchery, they are not bantams but medium sized. They say the hens reach 4 lbs, roosters 5. I have heard more than one source say the roosters aren't aggressive. (I've got 3 cockerels, if you live in my area, I'll gladly give you one!)

Question: if one was decided to keep a rooster, since they realized that TSC gave you a roo chick instead of a hen chick, should you keep the Barred Rock roo or the OEG silver duck wing bantam??

Are there any problems using a small rooster for our full sized hens? Our excellent rooster passed away. We are casually looking for a replacement. Our good rooster was very intelligent, never aggressive, somewhat small and of unknown or mixed breed since he adopted us and he produced high quality chicks. He was a bit small. To find a smallish rooster of good character I think we might get a bantam. Any suggestions? I'm not fond of the Brahams and might consider a Japanese. I have Delaware hens with plans to purchase Buff Orpingtons.

This is Charlie, a buff Brama bantam. He produced quite a few chicks from full size hens over the years. Sometimes I would watch the hens shake him off but he did manage to get the job done pretty often! He's 8 years old now and just as cocky (has never been aggressive) but I haven't seen him doing any breeding this year.

DSCN1012.JPG

Question: if one was decided to keep a rooster, since they realized that TSC gave you a roo chick instead of a hen chick, should you keep the Barred Rock roo or the OEG silver duck wing bantam??

If its not size your considering keep then both long enough to get a feel for their temperment. We had 2 lavender Orpington cockerels about 10 weeks apart the old was always mellow but the younger showed strong aggressive tendencies very early on, we re homed him at about 16 weeks he's beautful but he's a jerk now though his new owner live him anyways.

Though both can chance temperment a they mature there is simply better odds that a mellow will stay mellow but an aggressive will get more aggressive

Back
Top Bottom