Using Duck Aquaponics to filter pond water and produce duck feed?

Yup, suddenly I am an amazing gardener... Try squashes (butternut and spaghetti) if you haven't yet. Just like tomatoes they are very duck poo friendly. But I think you have to stop on the tomatoes when you want them to ripen. I had a weird problem last year that they kept growing but wouldn't turn red (or yellow on the ones that are meant to ripen yellow.) I. Going to test that next summer.
Poo is high in Nitrogen, if you're growing tomatoes or peppers you'll want to start off with it (it encourages strong, leafy growth), but then hold off on it once it starts fruiting since leaf production is what you don't want.
At that point I either use a fertilizer with more phosphorous/potassium or I just don't bother fertilizing at all

This is my favorite video on a duck filter system. Not sure if it's what you are looking for?

Seen that one, weird I didn't link it, must've forgotten...

It's a similar concept to what the others were doing, pool>solids removal>biofilters. He's just doing a lot more with the water. As far as the specifics, I'd like to avoid using a settling tank because that's just a hotbed for mosquitos where I live and I'm not particularly interested in Duckweed.
Similarly for the Aquaponics segment, it jus seems to be a nice addition rather than a key piece of filtration.
It doesn't really address the concerns Mother-Hen-Michele brought up regarding the micro-organisms though.

On a different note, I've been researching Airlifts and Geyser pumps, pretty exciting stuff I find. The air pumps are shockingly expensive though, a submersible pump would certainly be the cheaper option.
The lack of info, difficulty in sizing them, and dependence on depth certainly make them a tougher option to consider for water removal.
I've got a dinky little 20L/min airbrush pump though, might experiment to see what kind of lift and flow I can get with it based on a number of different designs I've seen.

Poo is high in Nitrogen, if you're growing tomatoes or peppers you'll want to start off with it (it encourages strong, leafy growth), but then hold off on it once it starts fruiting since leaf production is what you don't want.
At that point I either use a fertilizer with more phosphorous/potassium or I just don't bother fertilizing at all
Is that both duck and chicken poo?

I had LOTS of tomato and the squash did well, I don't recall if I was lugging buckets of dissolved poo after the fruiting started... I'll pay more attention this summer.

Does that mean lettuce you want to keep fertilizing all through the lifecycle?

For fruit shrubs is it the same ( fertilizer when leafing, not while fruiting?) I have lots of variety in those, they don't have the same timing.

i have mine similar to this design, except the pump is at the lowest point in the pontd to be able to pump out all the sludge as well. my system included a container for a mechanical filter, another container of lava rocks, and another container for charcoal before the water is in the head tank, then into the grow beds. I've been investigating to use sand as the growth media, so just go straight to a mechanical filter then to the grow beds.

1685829321129.png

Attachments

• 1685828913696.png
    1685828913696.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom