Using lights in the chicken coop? Will it keep them awake?

mrl8810

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
I have bought some solar lights that are supposed to come on whenever something passes thru...well we've put one solar light on the outside to keep predators away and weve noticed that the rats seem to have gone away as well? I've read that if the lights are on or come on the rats will eventually leave the area. We were wanting to put some solar lights INSIDE the coop to keep the mice away and to help keep predators away. I've read conflicting things though..some say that it will keep the chickens awake and that it will eventually cause health issues because they don't get enough sleep. Thanks so much for any help.

It depends on the movement. The chickens alone will probably turn it on depending on how sensitive the light is. Yes, it will cause them to wake, and if you have a rooster, he'll most likely crow. Depending on how often it turns on, I think it'll confuse the flock more than anything.

If you read through the egg quality handbook you will find a couple of defects that can be caused by too much or constant lighting.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Some behavioral issues are possibly caused by them not having enough dark downtime.

One of the triggers of when to release the yolk to start the production of the next egg is tied to light.

Changes is length of the day caused by sporadic lighting can cause a molt.

Personally I would not put motion activated lights inside a coop.

Back
Top Bottom