Using sand as a bedding material in a coop.

I have a sand floor, but I also have hay (instead of straw) on one end. The hay gets funky and comes out. The sand stays pretty clean. I think I have about 2 inches. This weekend, I plan to sprinkle some lime on top and add more sand. The ducks seem to pack it down rather than dig it up.

What about mixing some diatomaceous earth and stall dry with the sand periodically to help with odor? I will be getting my first ducklings and chickens in the spring, seriously considering using sand in the coop (BYC and its members has been a wonderful resource! :) ).

I have sand in my coop , it's great . Mix DE in with it every couple of weeks it drys the poop and
eliminates the smell . I use a Large kitty litter shovel attached to a bamboo pole , scoop the poop
and shake the sand loose.
Works perfectly and I don't loose the sand ! Not to mention , the grit is always there for them so I
don't have to add any to thier food .
For the winter I use straw on top of the sand, but only
in one area of the coop for extra warmth . I wouldn't use anything else!

Wanted to re-boost this post. I have added a layer of used railroad ties around my coop, this has allowed me to install 4" plastic drainage tiles, covered in the fabric wrap, and also allowed for almost a full 8" deep layer of sand. The coop used to flood, and with the raised elevation and added drainage tiles now, we are high and dry. Even when they get into the water jugs and bowl and empty them out it dries up pretty quick. My chickens are digging in and making nice little dust bath areas. There is zero smell, and we went on vacation and came back, no one had cleaned the coop for 2 weeks. I was able to get a stall rake, and scoop up the top layer and it sieved right through and was SO easy. I will never build another run that I don't use sand in. for nesting boxes I use a mix of straw and shavings, and have added a little bit of fresh dried herbs when available. Rosemary and any of the mints are nice, and from what I have read some are anti-parasitic.

Wanted to re-boost this post. I have added a layer of used railroad ties around my coop, this has allowed me to install 4" plastic drainage tiles, covered in the fabric wrap, and also allowed for almost a full 8" deep layer of sand. The coop used to flood, and with the raised elevation and added drainage tiles now, we are high and dry. Even when they get into the water jugs and bowl and empty them out it dries up pretty quick. My chickens are digging in and making nice little dust bath areas. There is zero smell, and we went on vacation and came back, no one had cleaned the coop for 2 weeks. I was able to get a stall rake, and scoop up the top layer and it sieved right through and was SO easy. I will never build another run that I don't use sand in. for nesting boxes I use a mix of straw and shavings, and have added a little bit of fresh dried herbs when available. Rosemary and any of the mints are nice, and from what I have read some are anti-parasitic.
Sand is a great idea.... I am going to try it!!!

I am so glad someone bumped this thread. What is the ratio of diatomaceous earth to sand that folks are using, and what kind of sand? Sandbox sand? Construction sand? Does it matter?

I'm curious to know if anyone who uses sand bedding for their ducks 1. lives in a climate with harsh winters 2. has had any prior experience with the deep litter bedding method. I had pea gravel to start with- which seemed fine for spring/summer (though I was a little concerned about the hard surface and their feet) but when winter came I decided to switch to pine shavings (straw in nesting boxes) for ample warmth. Now I've just recently been trying deep litter method which has worked well for the winter- but, I'm uncertain how it'll do for the warmer months. Not super sold on any method right now- interested to see what you sand advocates think. Thanks for your input!

I boosted this for two reasons, I only use deep sand in the run, I live in Central Illinois so I get real cold, if you keep it raked, it stays nice and clean and soft all winter. My coop is deep litter ~6" of pine shavings, Nesting box is mix of straw, pine, and herbs. I sprinkle DE in the boxes and coop floor about once a month.

My new Coop is going to be larger, and I am leaning towards using Artificial Turf for lining the nesting boxes, I have also built these boxes to be a slight roll back so we don't have to go in the coop to collect. I am also setting this coop up for the deep litter coop floor, Pine shavings and straw, during the cooler months, I'm going to leave it bare floor for easier cleaning in the summer. I used fiberglass reason on the floor, and wrapped it up the sides about 6 inches, so I should be able to just hose it out good.

I'm mainly into chickens(24, about 4 different breeds) and I had 2 Eastern Turkey's down to one now. I've just decided this year to add some Indian runners. so I'll let you know how that works.

I boosted this for two reasons, I only use deep sand in the run, I live in Central Illinois so I get real cold, if you keep it raked, it stays nice and clean and soft all winter. My coop is deep litter ~6" of pine shavings, Nesting box is mix of straw, pine, and herbs. I sprinkle DE in the boxes and coop floor about once a month.

My new Coop is going to be larger, and I am leaning towards using Artificial Turf for lining the nesting boxes, I have also built these boxes to be a slight roll back so we don't have to go in the coop to collect. I am also setting this coop up for the deep litter coop floor, Pine shavings and straw, during the cooler months, I'm going to leave it bare floor for easier cleaning in the summer. I used fiberglass reason on the floor, and wrapped it up the sides about 6 inches, so I should be able to just hose it out good.

I'm mainly into chickens(24, about 4 different breeds) and I had 2 Eastern Turkey's down to one now. I've just decided this year to add some Indian runners. so I'll let you know how that works.
Thanks, yes I'd like to know how that works out for you. I only have two ducks and their coop/run is basically the same thing. I have nesting boxes off the side but otherwise the coop/run is one big box for them. So having sand AND deep litter probably isn't feasible. I'm fairly new at the deep litter method...does the DE help keep the flies away in the heat of summer? I'm concerned about how the deep litter will do in the summer...maybe I'm just not sure how often to turn it over/clean it out with that method. My ducks go in at dusk and are let out in the a.m. and free range all day otherwise. So, I usually remove the obvious land mines off the top, give a stir and then add some more shavings on top when needed. Is there anything I'm missing?

Back
Top Bottom