Using shed for chicken coop. Need layout ideas

Pics
Feb 6, 2023
A magical land in Northern IL
I would like to transform one of the sheds on our property that is in good condition into a chicken coop and build a chicken run on the exterior. For reference I am soon to have 15 new chicks and this shed is 16x16. I am new to all of this and I am scared to ask/ don’t feel comfortable asking my neighbors so I feel my backyard chicken friends can hopefully provide good insight on how to have this coop layed out. I am trying to reuse materials I already have such as fallen branches for roosting perches if that’s okay? We are surrounded by woods so predators are everywhere and a whole pack of coyotes just scooped one of my neighbors dead birds on my property line so I’m really scared on how to protect the flock. I haven’t gotten a chance to clear the shed, but I can provide better pictures if needed. Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• E5F3ED9E-A540-481A-8C44-2854E5B97F5C.jpeg
    E5F3ED9E-A540-481A-8C44-2854E5B97F5C.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 991
  • B82E90CB-A207-4081-95FE-9A485ABEB26B.jpeg
    B82E90CB-A207-4081-95FE-9A485ABEB26B.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 22
That’s a pretty good shed to hold birds.

Here are some things you want to put in the back of your head.

Roost Space: 1sqft per bird
Run space: 10-15sqft per bird
Coop floor space: 4-5 sqft per bird.
Ventilation: 1sqft per bird

I prefer a poop board with a roost on top of it, it catches all the poop while they sleep and can be easier to scoop then cleaning out the entire coop. You can easily add nesting boxes to that, whether you want something permanent or temporary.

Here’s a thread on nest box designs

A pop door, is an easy add to this as well.

This is my coop set up, but i’m in the process of building another one

Attachments

• 4B49CC02-E655-437E-8DEE-0B9C0CA264AA.jpeg
    4B49CC02-E655-437E-8DEE-0B9C0CA264AA.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thank y

I prefer a poop board with a roost on top of it, it catches all the poop while they sleep and can be easier to scoop then cleaning out the entire coop. You can easily add nesting boxes to that, whether you want something permanent or temporary.

This is my coop set up, but i’m in the process of building another

This is my coop set up, but i’m in the process of building another one
Thank you. I really appreciate it

Quick question, do you think I should add plywood boards to the walls? Should I paint the entire thing white or can I leave it plain?

Thank y

Thank you. I really appreciate it

Quick question, do you think I should add plywood boards to the walls? Should I paint the entire thing white or can I leave it plain?
It really all depends on your preference. I left the t1-11 just like it was and painted it. I didn’t add any extra plywood to the inside. I find painting with deck/porch paint is easier to clean than plain unprotected wood. I also added linoleum flooring to the floor, it’s easier to clean up, as you can just wipe it down 🙂

I painted the floor of my coop with Black Jack 57, it’s made for roofs but works great on a coop floor. My walls aren’t painted, but I wish they were and it’s on my to-do list for this summer.

I did add OSB (sort of like plywood but it was cheaper) to the walls, but it really isn’t necessary. It does make it a little easier when attaching stuff to the walls though.

Your shed looks like it will make a great coop, but make sure you add plenty of ventilation, it’s the most important part of a coop.

Ventilation modifications should be your top priority. Those two little vents (one on each gable) are not going to cut it. I don't see much overhang anywhere on the roof so you may have your work cut out for you. Nonetheless it looks like a suitable candidate. More pictures of the roof from the outside where it meets the walls on all sides might better help us offer worthwhile advice.

The rest (layout, paint, roosting bars, nesting boxes, etc) are easy.

-very nice shed! I think ventilation will be the main thing. Do you live in a generally cooler or warmer climate? Our first coop was a shed convert. We live in a very warm climate, so two large (hardware cloth covered) windows went in each side. The front barn doors were completely opened in the summer time, and a hardware cloth wall with a screened hardware cloth door was set back about two feet inside the "exterior barn doors". -predator proof, plenty of airflow. For a cooler climate, you won't need as much open air. Anyway, best of luck!! You have a nice starting point! Others have posted good suggestions for paint, etc.

Back
Top Bottom