Using shed for chicken coop. Need layout ideas

-very nice shed! I think ventilation will be the main thing. Do you live in a generally cooler or warmer climate? Our first coop was a shed convert. We live in a very warm climate, so two large (hardware cloth covered) windows went in each side. The front barn doors were completely opened in the summer time, and a hardware cloth wall with a screened hardware cloth door was set back about two feet inside the "exterior barn doors". -predator proof, plenty of airflow. For a cooler climate, you won't need as much open air. Anyway, best of luck!! You have a nice starting point! Others have posted good suggestions for paint, etc.
I live in northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin border.

Ventilation modifications should be your top priority. Those two little vents (one on each gable) are not going to cut it. I don't see much overhang anywhere on the roof so you may have your work cut out for you. Nonetheless it looks like a suitable candidate. More pictures of the roof from the outside where it meets the walls on all sides might better help us offer worthwhile advice.

The rest (layout, paint, roosting bars, nesting boxes, etc) are easy.
I will post more pictures

How do I go about making more ventilation?
Should I be cutting holes? Very nervous over here as I have no clue what to do, where to start etc

Thank you though all this advice is much appreciated
I’m writing everything down

I would paint the inside for sure and put down some sort of waterproof floor coating. You will have to add some more ventilation. Put the nest boxes in an area that they wont be walking under/near the roost area to avoid poo. With coyotes, your biggest obstacle will be putting in a secure run.
Thank you!! All this advice is truly awesome and helpful

I painted the floor of my coop with Black Jack 57, it’s made for roofs but works great on a coop floor. My walls aren’t painted, but I wish they were and it’s on my to-do list for this summer.

I did add OSB (sort of like plywood but it was cheaper) to the walls, but it really isn’t necessary. It does make it a little easier when attaching stuff to the walls though.

Your shed looks like it will make a great coop, but make sure you add plenty of ventilation, it’s the most important part of a coop.
Black jack 57, could I find this at a local home depot or hardware shop?
So basically just coat the entire inside shed ? 😅

Thank you much appreciated!!

It really all depends on your preference. I left the t1-11 just like it was and painted it. I didn’t add any extra plywood to the inside. I find painting with deck/porch paint is easier to clean than plain unprotected wood. I also added linoleum flooring to the floor, it’s easier to clean up, as you can just wipe it down 🙂
I was actually considering adding that type of flooring. Wow i don’t think I really realized how unprepared I am 😅

Thank you so much, much appreciated!

I was actually considering adding that type of flooring. Wow i don’t think I really realized how unprepared I am 😅

Thank you so much, much appreciated!
I tried the waterproof paint and i personally hated it. I like the linoleum a lot better. I used a staple gun to attach it.

No one is prepared when they start, but once you get a general idea/plan it goes a lot smoother😉

Last edited:
Black jack 57, could I find this at a local home depot or hardware shop?
So basically just coat the entire inside shed ? 😅

Thank you much appreciated!!
Yes you could find it at home depot. Usually people just use it for the floor, considering it is black, it would be very dark in the coop if you used it for the whole inside

I will post more pictures

How do I go about making more ventilation?
Should I be cutting holes? Very nervous over here as I have no clue what to do, where to start etc

Thank you though all this advice is much appreciated
I’m writing everything down
If you’re handy or have someone that is handy, you can add soffit vents by taking the end facia board off and extending the existing beams with 2x4s. A picture of the sides would help us with directing you on what to do.

Or you could just buy shed windows and put 2 of them on both sides. Considering you don’t live in a very warm climate, air flow isn’t as important as a warm climate but still necessary.

@DobieLover converted their shed into a chicken coop. Here’s the link to the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/

Last edited:
My girls only lay up high and this generation refuses to sleep in boxes as past chickens have. We put 2x4s between boxes for them to walk and perch on. They feel safer up there. Make sure your run has a roof on it or fencing.
No. You don't want them to sleep in nest boxes.
Roosts should be higher than nests.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Ventilation modifications should be your top priority. Those two little vents (one on each gable) are not going to cut it. I don't see much overhang anywhere on the roof so you may have your work cut out for you. Nonetheless it looks like a suitable candidate. More pictures of the roof from the outside where it meets the walls on all sides might better help us offer worthwhile advice.

The rest (layout, paint, roosting bars, nesting boxes, etc) are easy.
This^^^^!!!

I used a staple gun to attach it.
Beware the typical staple gun(ie: Arrow 50)
Staples are too short....they will work loose and the chickens likely to ingest them.
You want at least 3/4" set at proper psi with a pneumatic staple gun.
...or screws and washers.

No. You don't want them to sleep in nest boxes.
Roosts should be higher than nests.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

This^^^^!!!

Beware the typical staple gun(ie: Arrow 50)
Staples are too short....they will work loose and the chickens likely to ingest them.
You want at least 3/4" set at proper psi with a pneumatic staple gun.
...or screws and washers.
Yep, I used 3/4 long staples in an air gun.
(my fault should’ve specified🥴) Over a year later, it’s doing good and hasn’t peeled up anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom