Utah!

A barnyard mix would be perfect! My incubator shows up on Thursday, so we were thinking of starting the eggs next Monday. I live in Orem, and can come up most afternoons, or meet you somewhere at another time, which ever would work for you.

If I wanted to set them on Monday (I will be out of town the rest of the week next week) should I come by this Friday or Saturday? Whatever would work for you. How long can they sit before I need to icubate them? Will they be ok over the weekend?

Thanks so much!
The fresher the eggs the better your hatch will be. After 7 days the hatch rate decreases significantly and after 10 days it's not very likely to hatch. I sent you a PM with my email since I don't check BYC everyday. Let me know what will work for you and I'll bring them to work and meet you. It's a longer drive, but you can also pick them up in Herriman anytime if it works better for your schedule. I can collect 10 fresh eggs the day before you need them.

@sundancenbare The Turkish should be in SLC IFA today. I haven't heard from you, so I dont know if you still want them, maybe they will get some in again later in the year. Im not the best option for raising them anyway, I don't know how to pick boy vs girl or if you even still want them.

Last edited:
@sideWing I am not sure but am thinking of adding just one hen to my flock (we are a little ocd and 7 hens is not balanced) and thought that a Marans would maybe be an option. Do you have a hen available? The catch is we would love it to fit in with the flock so no bullies as we have some timid hens and of course we would like it to be not much older than a year old if possible. Do you have one that fits the request?

I have a curious predicament that I have never encountered. I have a swarm of bees apparently eating (?) the chicken food. I mean like about 30 small honey bee looking bees. Has anyone ever encountered this? I am an advocate for bees and know that they are probably lacking any real bee food to speak of right now.

I have a curious predicament that I have never encountered. I have a swarm of bees apparently eating (?) the chicken food. I mean like about 30 small honey bee looking bees. Has anyone ever encountered this? I am an advocate for bees and know that they are probably lacking any real bee food to speak of right now. 

I keep bees and I can say it is common for them to eat whatever they can if flowers nectar is in short supply, though I have never heard of them eating chicken food. One thing I would suggest is to set out a tray of sugar water a little away from your coop (or wherever the chicken food is). If they are actually honey bees, they will take the sugar water over the chicken food. If they don't, they might not be honey bees. Watch out though-sugar water will attract other not so friendly flyers

They are on the hunt for pollen and are probably collecting the dust in the feed. They take the pollen back to the hive to make "bee bread" for the larvae. Hopefully they will move on when they realize the chicken feed isn't exactly what they need!

Carrie

My research has led me to going tomorrow and getting a "pollen cake" at the feed store bee area. Hopefully that will give them a more appropriate source of food.

801 979 6366 lisa I haven't been on here for a while because I was injured and got out of the chicken game, so I have all of my stuff for sale which just to list a few things, are 2 Coops I used for 3 months that I bought new for 325 each then painted inside and out then singled they have 3 nesting boxes and a roosting bar each , brooder boxes with and without lights. and tons of other stuff i live in kearns and need money asap so please text only for more info

801 979 6366 lisa I haven't been on here for a while because I was injured and got out of the chicken game, so I have all of my stuff for sale which just to list a few things, are 2 Coops I used for 3 months that I bought new for 325 each then painted inside and out then singled they have 3 nesting boxes and a roosting bar each , brooder boxes with and without lights. and tons of other stuff i live in kearns and need money asap so please text only for more info

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury :( have you posted your supplies on KSL? I have always been able to sell my chicken supplies there. I hope everything works out!

Back
Top Bottom