steventhomas9109

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Hi all!
We are new to raising chickens and did a lot of research, we have 4 buffs and 10 australorps and they will be for family use once they get to that point. ie. eggs and meat. We will only be keeping a handful of these through the winter for continued egg production.

my question is: we are battling whether we should vaccinate or not. We want the cleanest meat we can get from them and I just don't know if vaccinating would have an affect on that. All of our chicks are 2 weeks old so are we too late?

Any advice or tips would be helpful. thank you!

What do you want to vaccinate against? Coccidiosis is easy to treat and if your birds won't live very long, there's not much point in vaccinating against mereks. But usually 2 weeks is too old.

my question is: we are battling whether we should vaccinate or not. We want the cleanest meat we can get from them and I just don't know if vaccinating would have an affect on that. All of our chicks are 2 weeks old so are we too late?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Vaccinating does NOT taint the meat or eggs, but it is too late for them to be effective now.

Enjoy your little's! :)

Marek's Vaccine is leaky, & creates more carriers. It doesn't prevent the disease, it makes those that are vaccinated carriers, slows tumor growth, & lessens the symptoms. So any unvaccinated birds that get brought into the flock, will get infected with the disease from the vaccinated birds.

I don't vaccinate my birds due to this.

It's too late to do so anyways.

But not vaccinating shouldn’t be a problem either, right? There’s a lot of conflicting info out there lol
Many people with non vaccinated birds will never face issues. To me it isn't a problem and is perhaps my preference.

Coccidia are in every poop and only a problem when environmental conditions allow it to grow out of control.. by over crowding or poo in the water. Treatment with Corid if symptoms present is effective. Medicated feed offers LOW dose amprol (which mimics thiamine to slow the growth of coccidia) and HELP prevent coccidiosis... which again can be done by dry bedding and clean water, so even medicated feed is NOT required or needed. But it is safe should you go that route.

I never saw (or experienced) it for nearly 10 years of chicken keeping. IF you do discover that Marek's is an issue in your area.. then consider that vaccine (AT HATCH) for future additions IF you aren't able to face the losses.. SOME years, now its as much as 30% of juveniles that show symptoms (and are culled) here. The vaccine HIDES the disease symptoms, it does NOT prevent it from spreading. Since I harvest my birds, losing them doesn't scare me. But it does suck financially to lose that many after growing them out.

Even birds that have been "breed" for resistance as I like to THINK I am doing.. may still succumb to slow wasting or other conditions in old age.

It's a complex discussion with no perfect answer but some understanding really helped me through the whole covid crud. A great article which discuses the subject extensively.. For future reference, no fear mongering, or inviting worry that we need not. Cross that bridge IF/when you get there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Don't diminish nutrition with excess snacks, even claiming to be high protein. Keep external parasite check done monthly (regardless of dirt bath habits or additives) and treat if needed. All things work together to support immune system function and sometimes even that will not be enough. We do our best.

Back
Top Bottom