Vaccines? Brooding area with lid?

Well, i went ahead and ordered some of the chicks we wanted 1 BA, 1 OP, 1EE and a mystery one. The rest are not available. And the ones ordered wont be here til MAY. guess that means i can put them right in the coop and brood them there since it will be PLENTY of time to get the coop built.

Well, i went ahead and ordered some of the chicks we wanted 1 BA, 1 OP, 1EE and a mystery one. The rest are not available. And the ones ordered wont be here til MAY. guess that means i can put them right in the coop and brood them there since it will be PLENTY of time to get the coop built.

That's great!

It's a lot easier! Since you now have some time to plan, I'd suggest you take a look at the mama heating pad thread. Someone else mentioned the temperature swings with outdoor brooding and that is, hands down, the easiest way to deal with it! I have peeps in temps swinging from 25-80 and not only are they not stressed by over/under heating, they have access to the outdoors in the secure run. It's the next best thing to being raised by a hen. I think if people brooding in an enclosure in their house saw how it could be, they'd reconsider.

It's a lot easier! Since you now have some time to plan, I'd suggest you take a look at the mama heating pad thread. Someone else mentioned the temperature swings with outdoor brooding and that is, hands down, the easiest way to deal with it! I have peeps in temps swinging from 25-80 and not only are they not stressed by over/under heating, they have access to the outdoors in the secure run. It's the next best thing to being raised by a hen. I think if people brooding in an enclosure in their house saw how it could be, they'd reconsider.

Usually by May the weather is stable and warm. I may keep them inside for a bit but it wouldnt be for long. Will make my life a lot easier.

I keep my new born chicks in the utility room in a huge box under the brooder WiITH THE DOOR CLOSED

Congrats, and have fun building your coop!

Back
Top Bottom