Valbazen Still good? - Exp. date: Sept. 2019

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
Why don't I just go buy some more? you might ask. I can't get out to an open feed store today (it will be open tomorrow), but just saw that my broody hen, sitting on eggs, day 17, dropped a worm that looks like a roundworm, in her stool. If it were for me, I'd use it, since many meds are good past expiration, but I wonder if anyone knows differently about this product. I've kept it stored in the house, in my pantry at room temp. I have some Wazine also, but I don't want to use that - it's hard enough to tell if a chicken who's eating normally is getting the right amount, let alone this lady who's consuming about 20% her normal diet.
I almost hate to ask the question because I know there are no guarantees with anything...
Oh, and I found some Safeguard way back in the pantry... but it expired May 2018.
Any thoughts??

Why don't I just go buy some more? you might ask. I can't get out to an open feed store today (it will be open tomorrow), but just saw that my broody hen, sitting on eggs, day 17, dropped a worm that looks like a roundworm, in her stool. If it were for me, I'd use it, since many meds are good past expiration, but I wonder if anyone knows differently about this product. I've kept it stored in the house, in my pantry at room temp. I have some Wazine also, but I don't want to use that - it's hard enough to tell if a chicken who's eating normally is getting the right amount, let alone this lady who's consuming about 20% her normal diet.
I almost hate to ask the question because I know there are no guarantees with anything...
Oh, and I found some Safeguard way back in the pantry... but it expired May 2018.
Any thoughts??
I'd use it too.

khind, did you find that the expired Valbazen was effective. Yesterday, a treated a hen with my Valbazen because I found a roundworm in her poop. This morning, I found two more worms in a large poop. The worms were still moving slightly. I checked the bottle and it expired in December 2018. In the past when I've treated with both Valbazen and with Safeguard after witnessing roundworms,, the worms seen in the poop post treatment were most definitely not moving. I'm wondering if the Valbazen isn't as effective because it is expired. Just curious if it worked for you.

I would use Valbazen that was expired in 2019, but I would shake the bottle well for several minutes, and make sure the sludge that settles to the bottom is well suspended. Otherwise, the doseage will not be accurate.

khind, did you find that the expired Valbazen was effective. Yesterday, a treated a hen with my Valbazen because I found a roundworm in her poop. This morning, I found two more worms in a large poop. The worms were still moving slightly. I checked the bottle and it expired in December 2018. In the past when I've treated with both Valbazen and with Safeguard after witnessing roundworms,, the worms seen in the poop post treatment were most definitely not moving. I'm wondering if the Valbazen isn't as effective because it is expired. Just curious if it worked for you.
I believe it did work. I say that because after treating the 1st and 2nd time, my laying hens are right on their normal laying schedule, all the chickens are energetic, look good, & feel to be a healthy weight. Also, the hen who pooped out the worm to begin with hatched chicks before the 2nd treatment, and there's never been evidence of worms in those residents (who are now 9 wks old). Of course, my Valbazen expired in 2019 though. (I can't remember which month, but I'm pretty sure I wrote it in the original post.)

Back
Top Bottom