Vaseline on chickens?

Farmergyrl23

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
This is our first year keeping chickens in the winter. We have enclosed their coop so no drafts can get in, but left openings in the top for ventilation. They have a dry layer of sawdust and hay in the bottom and also have a wooden roost. I've read that in cold weather you can put vaseline on your chickens combs and wattles to help prevent frostbite. My question is how often if at all should I do this? We live in Northeast Pa and we are reaching the coldest temps we've had so far. Our nights are averaging around 20 degrees. I just want to make sure that my chickens are going to be okay and would hate to see them get frostbite. Thank you!

If you have chickens with really large combs, like leghorns or Old English Games, and temperatures are going to be below zero, then you may want to put some Vaseline on the combs. The idea is to prevent water from condensing on the combs.
Chickens with smaller combs are usually more adapted to colder weather and usually don't need this sort of treatment.

Well, in the past few years my 4 girls have come through some days of sub freezing weather without permanent comb damage. Every once in a while, you'll find black spots or areas, but they heal up fine by themselves.

I have wanted to put Vaseline or A&D Ointment on their combs to make them more comfortable, but I would like to meet the genius who can get a chicken to keep still long enough for you to mess with their heads... They are strong and squirmy and I think I'd get more Vaseline on myself than the bird's comb.

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Aint that the truth! I'd like to meet the genius too!
gig.gif

I live in West Central Florida, so don't have to worry about frostbite, but just from experience, I think it may be easier to try painting the Australorp's toenails than to put vaseline on their combs.
lau.gif
Just my opinion.

Stroke their chest. It puts them in a sort of trance and they fail to notice many things which will give you a short window to put vaseline on

Last edited:
I used vasoline before and found bag balm in ag store tractor supply it's thicker and works much better. Your barred rock , buff orpington roosters that have the enormous combs are no good in extreme cold weather. Had to cull them because of this situation stay with the smaller comb winter type chickens for your conditions. Rockmaster

Back
Top Bottom