Vent gleet? Frost bite? please help

BigMoma3

Songster
May 16, 2019
TN
Hey, I'll try to make this quick. Our chickens had worms recently. Several of them had poopy feathers because of it. We treated for worms. The chickens seemed to make a full recovery and no more poopy feathers. We have one chicken however who is showing to be very very sick as of this morning. She can't stand, is keeping her eyes closed, had very poopy feathers, and white, yellow poop or infection oozing from the vent. It looks like extreme vent gleet.

Also, we had pretty cold temperatures for our area over the weekend. Our birds are not used to it. It was in single digits with wind chills at -20. Most of the chicken stayed in the coop, but some got bullied out and they hid under the coop during the day all weekend. The sick chicken also looks like her comb may be frostbit. It was very stiff like it was frozen and had some black tips. However the black tips could be caused from being bullied because she is lower on the pecking order and her comb gets injured often.

Not sure if I should give antibiotics as it would make the vent gleet worse, or try antifungal. Not even sure if she will take anything. She doesn't seem like she is going to make it. Even if she doesn't, I would love advice to prevent this from happening again.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-12-26-09-02-14-574.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-26-09-02-14-574.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2022-12-26-09-02-21-507.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-26-09-02-21-507.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 23
Your hen appears to be dying. She may have experienced serious hypothermia from extended exposure to the cold.

She may not be conscious enough to drink, but if you can get some warm sugar water with electrolytes into her, about half a cup if possible, she might revive.

You would need to tube or syringe it into her crop like this.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg
The poopy condition may be caused by organ shutdown. Vent gleet, if it is that, would not be responsible for her current condition.

Your hen appears to be dying. She may have experienced serious hypothermia from extended exposure to the cold.

She may not be conscious enough to drink, but if you can get some warm sugar water with electrolytes into her, about half a cup if possible, she might revive.

You would need to tube or syringe it into her crop like this. View attachment 3359015The poopy condition may be caused by organ shutdown. Vent gleet, if it is that, would not be responsible for her current condition.
Thank you. Since bringing her in, her whole comb has turned purple. I've tried giving her electrolyte water with sugar, but she is not making any kind of swallowing motion after syringing it. Also, when I open her mouth to give her the water, it seems like there is clear stringy mucus looking strands in her mouth. I will keep trying but I believe she is dying as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-12-26-09-35-49-758.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-26-09-35-49-758.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 25
I would go ahead and euthanize her. Even if you got the electrolytes into her, her organs wouldn't metabolize it. She will likely die in a couple hours or sooner.

The hardest part of raising animals :hit
Next time, if temps and wind chill get this low, I will keep the coop door closed and put some safe hiding spots in there for the lower pecking order hens so they can't get booted outside. Thank you again.

The hardest part of raising animals :hit
Next time, if temps and wind chill get this low, I will keep the coop door closed and put some safe hiding spots in there for the lower pecking order hens so they can't get booted outside. Thank you again.
Sry you lost a chicken. Where i live it gets really cold so in the coop i have two heat lamps always on my 11 hens have 4 roosting bars. Once a week i put electrico. In both water holders. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom