Vent gleet how to cure

JHolly12

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
Hey!! Newbie here I have a hen that doesn't look to well, a leg horn, I don't think it had the bestvstart in life, it's back end doesn't look well, still eating and drinking running around as normal with the flock, I have pictures, I've soaked it in empson salts I'm going to separate from flock tomorrow.. SEND HELP LOL

Can you post a picture or describe all of the symptoms? Vent gleet is not simply a poopy vent, but would be red, possibly with white or yellow patches, with missing feathers, and a bad smelling discharge that continuously runs. Vent gleet is usually a fungal infection of the GI tract. How does the crop feel, and is it emptying by morning? What are you feeding her? Is the belly below the vent swollen or enlarged? If the chicken was in an overcrowded area before you got her, feather and vent pecking may have caused problems. Using probiotics in the diet and a little plain Greek yogurt can help replace the good bacteria in the intestines. Keeping the vent clean, and using a cream such as Monistat or Nustock just inside and outside on the vent, may help. Clean water and feed are helpful.

Mind you this bird had an Epsom soak and then flopped in the dirt afterwords. So it looks worse then it is.

Attachments

• 20230608_200445.jpg
    20230608_200445.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230608_200442.jpg
    20230608_200442.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom