Vent Gleet

dwatkins

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Good morning all - I have a concern about one of my girls who appears to have vent gleet, which she has had before and we were able to get under control rather quickly, but this time it is not clearing up as quickly and I am starting to get concerned.

We have been giving her bottom a good epsom salt rinsing every day, we cut the feathers around her tail end to assist with that, we have been putting Miconazole Nitrate Vaginal Cream (a generic Lotrimin) on and around her vent, and we were feeding her greek yogurt as well. When she didn't perk up after the past week, I got medistatin for her. I tried to put it in her yogurt, scramble eggs, oatmeal, pasta - all things she generally would eat w/out hesitation, but she will not eat any of these things with the medistatin in it.

I have seen some posts about mixing medistatin with water and putting it in a syringe and giving it to her that way, but have also seen posts about how that can be dangerous for the chicken. My husband is going down now to get coconut oil as I have also read to add the medistatin to a bit of coconut oil, allowing it to harden and then popping it into the chicken's beak.

Anyone run into the problem before where their chicken would not take the medistatin and if so, what did you do to get the chicken to take the medicine?

Thank you so much for anyone with any thoughts or ideas.

I note that many times those with vent gleet questions are asked to upload a picture, so I just took one before cleaning poor Stevie up...

I also failed to mention in previous post that I tried to put apple cider vinegar in their water, but neither would drink it, so stopped that... today, Stevie's comb is super droopy and does not look good at all.

so, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would really appreciate it as I am starting to get very worried about her. Thank you.

Attachments

• STEVIE.jpg
    STEVIE.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom