Vent or anus prolapse 2 mo old pullett

teaton

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
Clarksville, TN
There was blood in the baby coop today so i checked everyone, and one of the 1 month olds has a red organ hanging from bottom, im afraid to pull or cut it, im soaking her rear in warm water now, can anyone identity this? Sorry its gross

Last edited:
It's hard to tell, but does look like a prolapse. Is it hard?

Keep her separated. Add some epsom salts to the water you are soaking her in. Dry her and apply some hemorrhoid cream or honey to the vent to help reduce swelling. Repeat the soaking and applying the cream. Hopefully this will reduce it to where it will go back in. Keep the protrusion "moist" with the cream/ointment the best you can.

Keep her warm and make sure she is eating/drinking.

Let us know how she's doing.

I tried that and it has extended even further, im afraid she wont make it but thank you anyways, just odd i thought only egg laying hens prolapsed not 1 month old pulletts, 1 things for sure i learn something new everyday!

Last edited:
I tried that and it has extended even further, im afraid she wont make it but thank you anyways, just odd i thought only egg laying hens prolapsed not 1 month old pulletts, 1 things for sure i learn something new everyday!
What did you try?

Also give her wet chick starter and make sure she is drinking plenty of water. If she has had anything to eat besides chick starter offer some grit free choice.

A prolapse can happen at any age with either sex. Usually with chicks and cockerels it is most likely due to constipation. Hens at point of lay it is from usually a too large egg, but not always.
Genetic/developmental disorder can also have a role as well.

Keep trying to soak it in epsom salts and apply the cream, hopefully it will reduce. Some photos after the soaking may help as well. If the prolapse has become hard (tissue that has come out has dried up) it will be difficult to treat.

Shes still on chick starter and ive soaked it and tried the honey and sugar method as that is what i had on hand, but it only made it worse id say 2 inches is sticking out now, and im afraid she wont make it through the night to try anything eles
1f622.png
1f62d.png
1f622.png

Last edited:
Ok so i couldnt go to bed without thinking about what you said and i got the Vaseline out and was able to push the insides back in, ive also started an antibiotic, so we will have to see how she is doing in the morning but thank you for the advise because i would have never of done that had you not have said so

Last edited:
I pushed it back in last night but it came back out. I dont know what to do, it is quite a bit, i will try to get another photo, right now im just keeping it moist and giving her watered down food

I know it looks bad. You are doing good though - don't give up just yet
hugs.gif

Soak her again in warm epsom salts bath, clean off the poop, dry her a bit, slather on the hemmorhoid cream or honey then see if it will gently go back in.

For hens that are laying and have prolapse, it's recommended to give calcium, this will sometimes help contract the prolapse. Give your girl 1/2 of a Tums (crush it up), this will give a little calcium. You can give her the other 1/2 in a couple of hours.

Place her in a semi-dark area and make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom