Ventilation ideas

Dkroy

Hatching
Feb 19, 2023
Planning on doing a coop somewhat like this one. Can I put vents in the peaks under the roof on both sides and that be enough ventilation? South central KY so it gets some what hot in the summer but winters not to awful bad cold. 4x4 or 4x5 coop with a 12x4 run attached. Only 3-4 birds.

Attachments

• 16C6AC5C-505C-4A55-8860-B3C42736BE05.png
    16C6AC5C-505C-4A55-8860-B3C42736BE05.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Its very difficult to have proper ventilation in short coops. Getting the proper amount above the birds while on roost with no drafts is hard to accomplish. Cleaning that type of coop isn't the easiest either. I'd definitely make it taller, or a walkin coop.

Welcome to BYC. You can put your general location into your profile so that people can give better-targeted advice when you ask questions.

Here's my article on coop ventilation: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

And my small coop, designed to meet all the minimums for a flock of 4,* which originally was setup with exactly that style of half-high run: The Little, Monitor Coop

I would not again intentionally build a half-high structure. It was murderous to clean in there -- all hunched over trying to use a pitchfork that kept hitting the walls and the roof.

Also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/

If you get significant snowfall you should plan to roof the run (with generous roof overhangs), so that the hens will be able to get out of their coop. If my experience cleaning out the bedding inside that run was bad, imagine having to shovel snow out of it. :eek:

I have become a great fan of the ease of working with metal roofing installed over purlins.

*4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice

Back
Top Bottom