VENTILATION IMAGES NEEDED!

Chickylove12

Songster
Nov 7, 2017
Ontario Canada
Hi there. We are building our coop..large one and it will be a lean too roof..one slope. Not peaked. So trying to think of how to do the ventilation spaces around the top. Any ideas? Please and thanku. Pictures are helpful.

Attachments

• 20190729_105009.jpg
    20190729_105009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Best is to have the eves overhang and the rafters not blocked, but open, (both ends) AND SECURED WITH HARDWARE CLOTH.
This is the best image I was able to find quickly to convey the open eve/soffit concept.
serveimage

Add some additional vents on the sides, and cover with something similar to this. At Home centers, there are many sizes and shapes available. Choose what fits your coop best.
Have ventilation high up so it is at least 2 feet above chickens' heads as they roost.
serveimage

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I am not a builder AT ALL, so what I did was leave the top foot open on the front side. My front and back walls are even, and the space above the front wall all the way to the roof is open and covered with hardware cloth. I attached the hardware cloth to the inside framing with nails and washers. I also cut big open "windows" and covered them with hardware cloth (sandwiched between the siding and the framing). The "windows" are above their heads while roosting. Here are some pics. Remember: I've never built anything before, but here's what I did with wonky, recycled fence boards and recycled siding. Inside humidity stays around 45% most mornings.

Here it is before the hardware cloth was attached. The coop is actually pretty square, and everything is level. This pic is just weird.
coop.jpg

Here are the three back windows. There is also one window in front and one on each side.
20181120_150101.jpg

Hope that helps.

HOWEVER, if you know what you are doing (and it appears you do), soffit vents are amazing and you should install them instead.

(Edited for typo)

Last edited:
Even though you are in Canada, ventilation is much more important than heat or insulation. Make sure you have about 2 foot eves sticking off the front and back (to keep rain out) and don't wall it all the way up to the roof. Leave about a foot up top that you cover with hardware cloth. That should give you plenty of ventilation in winter and you can always put in additional side windows for more air flow in summer.

I keep the soffits open all the time and hardware clothed. The big end window is open all summer and lowered in the winter. Other windows open in the summer and cracked to shut in the winter. One window cracked in the winter and soffits is enough in the winter, but you can't get enough windows open in the summer.

I use home made windows like Aunt Angus, but make mine out of plexiglass so they let light in during the winter and closed or mostly closed.

Staples hold it still.
chicken-coop_25-large.jpg
D4.JPG

I keep the soffits open all the time and hardware clothed. The big end window is open all summer and lowered in the winter. Other windows open in the summer and cracked to shut in the winter. One window cracked in the winter and soffits is enough in the winter, but you can't get enough windows open in the summer.

I use home made windows like Aunt Angus, but make mine out of plexiglass so they let light in during the winter and closed or mostly closed.

Staples hold it still.
chicken-coop_25-large.jpg
View attachment 1861741
Great pic showing soffit vents! Nice looking coop, too!

Geez, I wrote this post days ago and didn't hit 'post reply'.

Have rafters sit on top of walls and leave spaces open between rafters,
use 1/2" Hardware Cloth as 'soffit' material.
Also have a large overhangs 12-18" with rafter ends and fly rafters on sides(to protect other vent and windows).
coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

coop-eaves-3-jpg.1353558

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

Back
Top Bottom