VENTILATION IMAGES NEEDED!

Gable end vents, soffit vents, ridge vent, lots of windows
paint-2-jpg.1759890

1/2" HC stapled over all openings.
soffit-hc-with-trim-jpg.1770403

Coop article for build here.

My run has a single sided sloped roof. I pre-bent the 4' wide pieces of HC to fit over the rafter tails, fold under the rafter tails then down the walls and out for the apron. Then I installed PT deck boards for the fascia. You could do it that way with nice over hangs front and back.

Framed out.
run-framing-jpg.1835206

HC installed.
hc-stapled-to-back-of-fascia-jpg.1835458

From a different angle
rafter-tie-in-run-jpg.1856409

Last edited:
Geez, I wrote this post days ago and didn't hit 'post reply'.

Have rafters sit on top of walls and leave spaces open between rafters,
use 1/2" Hardware Cloth as 'soffit' material.
Also have a large overhangs 12-18" with rafter ends and fly rafters on sides(to protect other vent and windows).
coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

coop-eaves-3-jpg.1353558

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
I am building coop #2. This I can do. Im not much of a builder, and I hate working with hardware cloth. But this looks very good and appears to require fewer manipulations/cuts of the hardware cloth. Thanks for this!

I am not a builder AT ALL, so what I did was leave the top foot open on the front side. My front and back walls are even, and the space above the front wall all the way to the roof is open and covered with hardware cloth. I attached the hardware cloth to the inside framing with nails and washers. I also cut big open "windows" and covered them with hardware cloth (sandwiched between the siding and the framing). The "windows" are above their heads while roosting. Here are some pics. Remember: I've never built anything before, but here's what I did with wonky, recycled fence boards and recycled siding. Inside humidity stays around 45% most mornings.

Here it is before the hardware cloth was attached. The coop is actually pretty square, and everything is level. This pic is just weird.
View attachment 1861684

Here are the three back windows. There is also one window in front and one on each side.
View attachment 1861685

Hope that helps.

HOWEVER, if you know what you are doing (and it appears you do), soffit vents are amazing and you should install them instead.

(Edited for typo)
You did an awesome job. Yes we are working on roof now..and the openings will be similar like yours..all the way around with shutters that I can close if the weather is blowing hard on one side..and of course leave other sides open. Yah you did a really good job.

Gable end vents, soffit vents, ridge vent, lots of windows
paint-2-jpg.1759890

1/2" HC stapled over all openings.
soffit-hc-with-trim-jpg.1770403

Coop article for build here.

My run has a single sided sloped roof. I pre-bent the 4' wide pieces of HC to fit over the rafter tails, fold under the rafter tails then down the walls and out for the apron. Then I installed PT deck boards for the fascia. You could do it that way with nice over hangs front and back.

Framed out.
run-framing-jpg.1835206

HC installed.
hc-stapled-to-back-of-fascia-jpg.1835458

From a different angle
rafter-tie-in-run-jpg.1856409
Thanku for the photos.

Back
Top Bottom