Ventilation

MarvelManor

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
North Carolina
This my coop and an idea on how we are gonna finish the roof. What we are trying to figure out is how high we should do the ventilation? And then what about keeping the weather out? Would a good overhang be good enough. If yoy have some pics as examples that would help too. Thank you
Also I'm in North carolina zone 7b if that helps any

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_141859~2.jpg
    IMG_20240308_141859~2.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 34
The rule of thumb for ventilation is one square foot per bird. It’s best to have the ventilation above or below where the birds will roost so they do not catch the drafts. This is more important in colder climates. Stopping the weather coming in is also important and yes you could put an overhang depending on how the wind blows or some kind of eaves. Having ventilation is good on both sides for the cross flow.

This my coop and an idea on how we are gonna finish the roof. What we are trying to figure out is how high we should do the ventilation?
As high as possible.
Maybe make the coop taller so you can walk in to tend to things more easily.

And then what about keeping the weather out? Would a good overhang be good enough. If yoy have some pics as examples that would help too.
Yes good roof overhangs are good.
Whether they will keep the weather out depends on how big the overhangs are, what the winds are like, and how tall the ventilation is.

Soffit venting can be the best way to go.
See My Coop for an example.

As high as possible.
Maybe make the coop taller so you can walk in to tend to things more easily.

Yes good roof overhangs are good.
Whether they will keep the weather out depends on how big the overhangs are, what the winds are like, and how tall the ventilation is.

Soffit venting can be the best way to go.
See My Coop for an example.
I ment like how many inches high should it be? Like 6 in the front 3 in the back?

Back
Top Bottom