Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
On the subject of water..... My 7 birds drink 1 gallon of water per day.... BUT... this is the desert and we have low humidity... And their run is totally covered in tin roofing so the run is dusty dry.... no rain can get to the ground... no grass grows.... they eat alfalfa hay freely and Layena feed and fresh veggies..... When they use the horizontal nipples, they even try to catch the drips that fall off of the bottom of the pipe...

Dave, I'm near you, with the same climate. I'll try to better measure their water usage this winter. It's hard to gauge now since we free range and they have an outside pond to drink from. Anyhow, can you tell us more about your vertical pipe setup with the horiz nipples? I like the idea, thanks for the photo. It looks like the pipe is wrapped in some sort of insulation? Is that enough to keep the nipples from freezing or do you heat your water somehow? Also, what is that pipe connected to...a hose or a container?

I like how you have the nipples at different heights. That would be a great setup with our flock because we have everything from volleyball-sized birds to a Jersey Giant.

On the subject of water..... My 7 birds drink 1 gallon of water per day.... BUT... this is the desert and we have low humidity... And their run is totally covered in tin roofing so the run is dusty dry.... no rain can get to the ground... no grass grows.... they eat alfalfa hay freely and Layena feed and fresh veggies..... When they use the horizontal nipples, they even try to catch the drips that fall off of the bottom of the pipe...

Dave, I'm near you, with the same climate. I'll try to better measure their water usage this winter. It's hard to gauge now since we free range and they have an outside pond to drink from. Anyhow, can you tell us more about your vertical pipe setup with the horiz nipples? I like the idea, thanks for the photo. It looks like the pipe is wrapped in some sort of insulation? Is that enough to keep the nipples from freezing or do you heat your water somehow? Also, what is that pipe connected to...a hose or a container?

I like how you have the nipples at different heights. That would be a great setup with our flock because we have everything from volleyball-sized birds to a Jersey Giant.

You might try contacting Soloway (I think they're based out of the UK) and see if they will ship. I don't know if they do small orders or just wholesale, but it might be worth a try. Or perhaps Rich on eBay will ship you some. I imagine you'll pay more for shipping than the cost of the nipples though.
Thank you!
I've contacted Solway in UK and they're calculating shipping costs. Yay!

Learned this morning, at 24F, that the little bit of water that can stay in the lip of the HN's will freeze and lock up the spring rendering the HN inoperable.

When I emptied the jug there was skim ice on the surface of water inside and a chunk of ice on the inside end of a couple of the metal pins.

I have a submersible aquarium heater on order, should be here next week, that I will stick in there for the test phase for winter use of this waterer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/915954/water-system-heated-and-cooled

And it's all plugged into the Thermo Cube.... temp controlled.... so it don't run all the time...

Mine was frozen this morning too after temps in the 20s and low wind chills. I haven't put the heaters out yet so I just brought the bucket in for tonight. I'll have to see how it does w/the heater but it's not supposed to go below freezing for about a week after tonight.

I have still only seen 2 birds use the waterer. Now that winter is coming in I'll see if they use it with less other water laying around. Jury is still out.

Well, I'd like something I could hang on the outside of the cages. If I could find the right kind of plastic bottle to use, I could install the horizontal nipples on them.

You can get this small bottle including the holding bracket that allows you to mount it to the outside of a cage. (outside mount 38oz Drinker Bottle) . It has one horizontal nipple. It will freeze, of course. You can get a spare bottle to switch out, though. We're also working on a 3 quart unit that is heated which also has a bracket for cage mounting inside or out.

Back
Top Bottom