Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
Well, I'd like something I could hang on the outside of the cages. If I could find the right kind of plastic bottle to use, I could install the horizontal nipples on them.
I was able to hang the small bottle on the outside of a wire dog crate....I'll look for a pic of it, or set one up and take it for you.

ETA: 38 jar(pace picante) with HN in 5/16 hole hangs on wire dog crate, thin piece of wire holds it to crate.

3 gallon mounted on shelf outside growout coop, holes cut into HC for HN's, swivel lock to hold jug close to mesh.

Last edited:
I was able to hang the small bottle on the outside of a wire dog crate....I'll look for a pic of it, or set one up and take it for you.

ETA: 38 jar(pace picante) with HN in 5/16 hole hangs on wire dog crate, thin piece of wire holds it to crate.

Yeah, something like that. I already have 10 horizontal nipples, I just need something to attach them to that I can hang on the outside of the cages. I also have some very heavy wire that would make good holders.

Last edited:
Here is what I have done for outside access to feeders..... A pipe with a cap and nipples added would work for waterers....
The upper feeder is for adding treats to the coop....

Last edited:
I've got it! Large plastic square spice jars! I don't want to think how many I've thrown away over the years, now that I need a few. I'll go through my spice cabinet and see how many I have (I can transfer the contents to other jars). I may be browsing the spice aisle at Walmart next time I'm in there.

How 'bout pint or 1/2 gallon milk jugs?

pic_milk_bottles.jpg

I'll bet you know folks at work or friends that would save them for you.

I also don't buy milk (get it fresh from the farm) so if I want a plastic carton I have to ask someone to save it for me
tongue.png

I'll bet you know folks at work or friends that would save them for you.

I also don't buy milk (get it fresh from the farm) so if I want a plastic carton I have to ask someone to save it for me
tongue.png

I work at home online.
big_smile.png

Honestly I don't know anyone except family, and I don't see them much. I'm just sitting out here in the boonies with my chickens and dogs. I'll try for the spice bottles.

Ok, I've got some bottles and the nipples ready. What size hole do I drill? I know that's been answered but I don't want to read 250+ posts to find the answer.
hu.gif
The manufacturer suggests using 3/8 but I like to go smaller in softer plastics...but I don't thread it in all the way.
This give me some room for error as you can always redrill larger, but not smaller, tho I've never had to.
Make sure your hole is carefully drilled and nice and smooth.

Here's a couple posts I made here that discusses hole size:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-loaded-watering-nipples/210#post_14202676
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-loaded-watering-nipples/250#post_14289827

Back
Top Bottom