Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
My horizontal nipples in the white 2.5 gal bucket were perfectly fine from April-Sept....no leakage. I used the recommended drill bit 11/32 and inserted them perfectly square and hand-tightened. It looks like the plastic bucket has cracked above each HN. Maybe I over-tightened them originally but got away with it as long as the days were warm and as the temps dropped the plastic became a bit more brittle.... At this point I don't know if I should just purchase new plastic buckets.

I purchased a 2-gal black rubber bucket today (designed for livestock) thinking that the rubber might be more forgiving than the hard plastic. What do you think?

Also, the submersible heaters that you all recommend specify safety for plastic buckets. What about the rubber buckets?

On a slightly different note from way back in the thread: My 22 hens learned to use the HN within a minute and don't hesitate ever to use them. However, if given the choice, they totally prefer a dish of water.

Remove the HN's and apply some food grade silicone and put them back in, but not as tight... should work... OR tap the holes with a 1/8" pipe tap to add some threads... I used the tap on PVC pipe to put the nipples in...

Last edited:
@aart

I haven't been on this thread for awhile so you may have already answered this.... I know you used the horizontal nipples last winter with success. Do you plan on using them again this year?

@aart

I haven't been on this thread for awhile so you may have already answered this.... I know you used the horizontal nipples last winter with success. Do you plan on using them again this year?
Yep, was a great success, just carried about a half gallon of warm water each day to top off jug...

...then I let a broody set, needed to segregate her and was then carrying out thawed water 2-3 times a day for her and her chicks.<rollseyes>

Last edited:
Ok I may have missed the answer to this? Will the 250W sinking h20 heater for my plastic 5 gal bucket get too hot for the plastic using the gravity feed nipples, along with the thermo plug that cuts on at 35°F & off at 45°F? A man at tractor supply told me it will melt my plastic, and the nipples would still freeze. Has anyone ever used these together and I live in West TN. Thank you YHVH Bless

I used one of those 250 watt heaters in my bucket last year. HOWEVER... I put in a pyrex container for it to sit in so it's not in contact with the plastic.

You can see it in this photo (but the cups in this photo are not the HNs... Just posting so you can see the pyrex.)

But.... the glass 50 watt submersible fish tank heater worked very well...and only 50 watts. Just have to be sure to devise a way to keep it under water. (a net bag of marbles does a great job.)

Back
Top Bottom