VERY new here.

Mom2Five

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Stuarts Draft, VA
I am new here and currently have buff orpingtons. I want to eventually add to my flock next year and am planning on buying an incubator. Someone suggested the hovabater 1588 and I will buy it. I also was thinking about getting an additional smaller incubator so I won't have a staggered hatch in the big one. Make sense? So now I want to know what is a GOOD "small" incubator that is not too terribly expensive that can maybe hold 10 or so eggs??? Thank you.

The Brinsea mini bators are very good and hold around 10-12 eggs. And
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

You sound a lot like me....just got my first chicks last Easter. I'm also going to buy the HB1588. I've heard lots of good things about it. What do you mean by a staggard hatch? You could save up your eggs for a week and put them all in at the same time. They would still hatch about the same time. Or are you hatching every egg? Are you going to be hatching different breeds too? Or just your own eggs?

Quote:
I always do small hatches. I have 2 hovabators and one that can set 200 eggs. That one isn't ready to use yet needs some tlc

welcome-byc.gif

I can't wait to hatch eggs in the spring! I'm counting on one (or more) of my silkies to go broody and do all the hard work. If not, I will end up looking for an incubator as well!
big_smile.png
I also have a cochin hen, and I've heard they are very good mothers as well. Maybe I will get lucky and have four broodies and lots of chicks!
wee.gif

Shhh.. Don't tell my fiancée what I'm planning
hide.gif

Quote:
I have been peeking at the egg auctions that are posted here on BYC and I would like some silkies and polish and maran eggs. So I thought if I got eggs at different times because of auction end dates and the time lapse was longer than a week or two, I would need a second incubator. Like I said, I'm new to incubating so I'm reading everything and trying to learn. I guess eventually I would like to hatch some of my own eggs and then I can save them up to do one batch.

Thank you, everyone, for your welcome and your good tips to help me along.
frow.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the incubator will still function properly if you place in it fewer eggs than it will accommodate, but the more eggs the steadier the temp will be. I have a Sportsman cabinet incubator I incubate in as I do staggered hatches and I hatch in my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators. I have a hatch about once a week. I am taking off Thanksgiving week. No hatches scheduled for that week. I had a hatch day today and all hatched. Next hatch dates are Nov. 16th, 17th, 29th and Dec. 1st (another tray is going in tomorrow).

Back
Top Bottom