Very odd case. Sick but alert and won't eat laying hen

tip44

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 14, 2010
1) What type of bird , age and weight
Welsummer laying hen, approx 5 years old, lighter than her similar sized sister and obviously dropping weight each day
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is fairly alert, free ranging, pecking other chickens if they bother her, but takes more rests, and she is just...off. I can hear a stuffed up nasal sound when she breaths. She ACTS like she is eating, but pecks weakly at the food and doesn't take it into her mouth and swallow. Can't even feel her croup. Losing feathers like CRAZY. They fall out anytime I touch her. I kept her in a sick crate for several days and saw her drink once. Won't eat treats like bread, oatmeal, watermelon, etc. Palpatated for eggs or internal broken eggs and she didn't seem to have any sore spots. Comb is a tiny bit pale and but not extreme. Was laying until this week. Eyes are not puffy, bubbly or excess liquid. Pupils dilate and contract normally, no sign of color changes or pupil shape oddness. Legs and wings thrash like normal and she can perch just fine- gets from the tub to the side of the tub without problem. No sign of lice or mites from a visual exam.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About two weeks when I think back to a weak pecking incident I saw, but didn't understand.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, she free ranges during the day and in a coop at night with 10 other chickens of various ages and breeds.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Only think I can think of is Marek's? One hen had it and recovered the year before last.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Nothing. She MUST be drinking or she would be dead, but not enough to drop the water level of her small container in the cage with her.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, urates are a cream color, not pure while, the rest is black
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Tylan 50 orally twice a day for four days- no improvement
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self care if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Free range in my 1.5 acre yard, locked in at night in a small coop inside a 20 by 15 fenced chicken yard.

Since she is molting, I would give her some chopped scrambled egg or tuna daily for a little extra protein. My older hens all act a bit lethargic and aloof, and eat much less when they are molting every late summer. At 5 years, she could be suffering from one of the reproductive disorders or even cancer. But I would just watch her and let her live her life. Check her crop in early morning to make sure it is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom