Very pale comb??

BellaBokBok

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Australia
unsure of which forum to put this in
but both my girls have just begun laying about a week or so ago
so far i have gotten 16 eggs (is it weird to count) and i have noticed the one who was less developed has a very pale comb
she is also the one who is physically bigger and darker than the other, but the other developed her comb first and started laying first

A31r1g8CQAI-E4Q.jpg

and my other girls comb for comparison
A31skMsCYAAo_o4.jpg

it's been pretty hot around australia lately, that could be it, she is walking around with her wings slightly out so she's probably really hot, i gave them some frozen corn earlier to relieve them though :)

it's been pretty hot around australia lately, that could be it, she is walking around with her wings slightly out so she's probably really hot, i gave them some frozen corn earlier to relieve them though :)
Hot weather will not make their combs go pale - in face it is likely to make them redder as more blood will flow into them to help cool them down.

Be careful feeding your chickens frozen things. It can give them a bad stomach. Better to offer them defrosted peas or some vegetable that have been in the fridge for a few hours.

If you hen is still laying, and acting normal, eating normal, pooping normal, etc I would not worry too much. I have noticed when my hens go broody some get pale combs until they start laying again.

Also check the comb is not dry and crusty. Sometimes chickens can get a fungal infection on the combs.

Back
Top Bottom