Very sick 10 month old EE, can barely stand, lethargic, drooping wings, and more

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
this is ducky. She is 10 months old and has been lethargic and sad for the past week. We gave her vitamin e, egg yolks, electrolytes, diatamecious earth and more. she even had watery green poop but it started to become more brown and solidified, she was also becoming more active. Yesterday however, she would close her eyes way more often and we thought she wouldn’t make it that night as she slept in the nesting box and couldn’t even get to the roosting bar. Also note that she hasnt been laying eggs this whole time, and she could barely eat so we have had to break food in small pieces and mix it with water so it’s a soft consistency like baby food. Today I went out and thought she was dead; she was halfway under the coop and was not standing and all the other chickens were pecking and bullying her. I didn’t get a picture at this moment as I was panicking. We have dealt with sick chickens before and they either got healed or made improvement, however she is getting worse. I also don’t know why her wing is drooping down. She is now in the garage and we gave her another vitamin E. Any tips, please I’m really worried!

Attachments

• EEC7FE95-8542-408D-A69D-846924E4E6CA.jpeg
    EEC7FE95-8542-408D-A69D-846924E4E6CA.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 38
  • FEB1F9D6-007C-4E03-975A-E77F3683B03C.jpeg
    FEB1F9D6-007C-4E03-975A-E77F3683B03C.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 29
I don't have enough personal experience to be definitively helpful, but the two that we've had that were sick postured just like that, tail down, head down, wings drooping. I've had a couple that were not looking great but turned around with a tablespoon of plain yogurt - maybe it was the probiotics, maybe the calcium? This was a suggestion from an 82 yr old experienced chicken farmer, though some may disagree, we tried it out of desperation. There was another hen that ultimately passed no matter what we did. It's so hard when they're sick and we're very limited in knowledge (can't run blood tests, etc as one would on a person or even a dog) and tools of how to help. Hugs! I hope she turns around ASAP!
She needs to have water available. Be careful not to give too much vitamin E as it can accumulate and reach toxic levels; it's not one of the vitamins where the extra gets peed out. <3

I don't have enough personal experience to be definitively helpful, but the two that we've had that were sick postured just like that, tail down, head down, wings drooping. I've had a couple that were not looking great but turned around with a tablespoon of plain yogurt - maybe it was the probiotics, maybe the calcium? This was a suggestion from an 82 yr old experienced chicken farmer, though some may disagree, we tried it out of desperation. There was another hen that ultimately passed no matter what we did. It's so hard when they're sick and we're very limited in knowledge (can't run blood tests, etc as one would on a person or even a dog) and tools of how to help. Hugs! I hope she turns around ASAP!
She needs to have water available. Be careful not to give too much vitamin E as it can accumulate and reach toxic levels; it's not one of the vitamins where the extra gets peed out. <3
Thank you for your response! She looks a littttttle bit better, and we think that she has lice. We put a little bit of Diatamecious Earth in her food and around her wings and back, and saw small bugs coming out. She also has a dirty vent but we didn’t think much of it until we looked more into lice in poultry and saw that a dirty vent is a sign of bugs. We tried giving probiotics but as she had trouble eating, it was too big for her to eat. We will try giving her plain yogurt, again, thanks for your wishes and response!

Did you just give plain yogurt, or was it a kind of Greek yogurt? It’s really hard to find full fat regular yogurt nowadays, everyone wants low fat or some other junk like that!

I have one that has about the same symptoms. Her wing is also drooping. I have no idea what to do.
Try vitamin E maybe? Before my hen Ducky was sick like this, one day her wing was like broken, it wasn’t drooping, but she couldn’t close it. However 30 minutes later it fixed itself?

Try vitamin E maybe? Before my hen Ducky was sick like this, one day her wing was like broken, it wasn’t drooping, but she couldn’t close it. However 30 minutes later it fixed itself?
Well she has been sick for several days. I do think anything is broken, it’s like she just can’t hold it up anymore. Her tail is sort of sideways too...

Well she has been sick for several days. I do think anything is broken, it’s like she just can’t hold it up anymore. Her tail is sort of sideways too...
Is she lethargic and weak, or is it only a drooping wing? Does she have a dirty vent? What does her poop like? Has she been participating in normal flock activities like dust bathing, laying eggs normally, etc?

Wasn’t really trying to get answers from this thread, just wanted to let OP know they weren’t the only ones out there with a hen with those symptoms. But if you read that thread and have suggestions they are much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom