Very sick chickens! Please help!

States family

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Punxsutawney, Pa
I have a flock of about 40,2 started acting weird (stumbling, not eating or pooping) 2 days ago. Yesterday in cleaned the pen and saw a round worm in their stools, I immediately wormed with wazine 17 for the whole flock. Today 1 was up and walking around but had black tarry stools with slight blood. The othercchickens is now wheezing and railing as she breathes, struggling a little and yes her head and beak pointed to the sky. I plan on giving a dose of antibiotic tonight (oxytetracycline). Any ideas on what can be happening?! I've really been trying and I'm fearful death is the only way if not just 1 of them both :(

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it might be a good idea to separate them from the flock.
And I would deep clean the coop even though they aren't mites or lice.
if they all are getting bad I would give them all probiotic. Even if some seem to be okay I would still give them some.
As for the worms and internal health I will definitely try to do more research and try to find something for you.
Best of luck!

Thank you! Yeah I've been doing crazy research and they've been separated from everyone else. I'll go to the store and get a cleanser and clean the pen immediately. We usually clean it 1x a week but maybe that's not enough for them?

if you're not planning to breed or sell birds to other people, you can usually save the sick ones by using tylan injections, if they are pets. for anything sounding respiratory tylan would work i think. once they get well they probably wont get sick again. maybe they just have lower immune system due to the worms.

I have a flock of about 40,2 started acting weird (stumbling, not eating or pooping) 2 days ago. Yesterday in cleaned the pen and saw a round worm in their stools, I immediately wormed with wazine 17 for the whole flock. Today 1 was up and walking around but had black tarry stools with slight blood. The othercchickens is now wheezing and railing as she breathes, struggling a little and yes her head and beak pointed to the sky. I plan on giving a dose of antibiotic tonight (oxytetracycline). Any ideas on what can be happening?! I've really been trying and I'm fearful death is the only way if not just 1 of them both
sad.png
How old are your chickens, and did they all come from the same place, same time?

Sorry for your loss. If you lose any more, or could refrigerate one of the bodies from tonight, you may want to get a necropsy done by your state vet to find the cause of death. Some states like California have free ones, while others charge a fee. If not, you could do your own necropsy to look for intestinal or gizzard problems. With respiratory disease it can spread all over the organs through the air sacs with an overwhelming infection. Here are some links to finding your state vet or testing center:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml
http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

Back
Top Bottom