Very sick hen - Warning, Contains Very Nasty, Grapic Necropsy Pictures - Updated

I have to say Kathy that your necropsy pictures are incredible and give us all great insight into issues that can affect our chickens...such detail and explanation..

Thank you for posting!

Sorry you lost your girl but she is at peace now...it confirms that there was no way she could ever recover from what it was affecting her health...

I am glad I ate my dinner some few hours ago...and it was not chicken thankfully!

I have to say Kathy that your necropsy pictures are incredible and give us all great insight into issues that can affect our chickens...such detail and explanation..

Thank you for posting!

Sorry you lost your girl but she is at peace now...it confirms that there was no way she could ever recover from what it was affecting her health...

I am glad I ate my dinner some few hours ago...and it was not chicken thankfully!

Thanks!

Doing them was hard at first, but I was so surprised once I did one and was able to see the cause of death.

Did you see the one I did on two peacocks?

-Kathy

Last edited:
No I didn't see the one on the two peacocks...do you have a link? or maybe give me the name of the thread you used...

BTW....what ever happened to the chicken you had stored in your fridge ? You were going to do a necropsy on her...maybe a year ago?

Please tell me that she is not still hidden in the fridge........
hide.gif

Happy thanksgiving!!!!

No I didn't see the one on the two peacocks...do you have a link? or maybe give me the name of the thread you used...

BTW....what ever happened to the chicken you had stored in your fridge ? You were going to do a necropsy on her...maybe a year ago?

Please tell me that she is not still hidden in the fridge........
hide.gif

Happy thanksgiving!!!!
Here's the peacock thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-probable-blackhead-five-miles-from-my-place

I ended up tossing her the hen at the back of the fridge 'cause my roommate turned down the thermostat and she started to stink.

-Kathy

I have just looked at the link and followed through all the posts...great to see!

Incidentally...I have a book here that says it is not a good idea to have turkeys and chickens together ...precisely due to the risk of blackhead disease...

Hayden..my sole turkey was dispatched as I was worried about the risk of blackhead disease...here in France it does not seem to be a problem ( as far as I know ), people here mix turkeys and chickens and I am not aware of this disease being prevalent....wait for it...somebody soon will let me know that it is an issue...

Thanks again for the link...going to have my dinner now...I am not squeamish...unless it is my own blood!!!!

p.s. Glad you explained about the chicken....even better to know you did not prepare dinner with her corpse.....
sickbyc.gif

I have just looked at the link and followed through all the posts...great to see!

Incidentally...I have a book here that says it is not a good idea to have turkeys and chickens together ...precisely due to the risk of blackhead disease...

Hayden..my sole turkey was dispatched as I was worried about the risk of blackhead disease...here in France it does not seem to be a problem ( as far as I know ), people here mix turkeys and chickens and I am not aware of this disease being prevalent....wait for it...somebody soon will let me know that it is an issue...

Thanks again for the link...going to have my dinner now...I am not squeamish...unless it is my own blood!!!!

p.s. Glad you explained about the chicken....even better to know you did not prepare dinner with her corpse.....
sickbyc.gif
I've actually lost one chicken to blackhead, and treated another for it, and of course I've treated numerous peafowl for it, which is why I sell them while they're still in brooders. I told the guy that lost his to call me if they got sick and that I'd come treat them if they did, but he waited too long.

-Kathy

Sorry you both went through this but the necropsy is really valuable and interesting. I can't add anything to a diagnosis but appreciate you doing & posting the necropsy. Together we all learn. This is by far the best chicken site I know.
Best wishes. Bushchooky. :-\
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Same situation for me right now. Mine is not quite as lumpy as this one, but I feel lumps floating inside the fluid. She is also thin, but eating and drinking fine. I'm going to the store this morning to buy some needles and I'm going to try to aspirate the fluid out. Although I have a feeling she's going to die anyway, but I will make an attempt. Indeed, the necropsy is very educational. I'm not sure what I'm all looking at. We did a necropsy twice and found impacted gizzard (which seems to be common at our place.)

Same situation for me right now.  Mine is not quite as lumpy as this one, but I feel lumps floating inside the fluid.  She is also thin, but eating and drinking fine.  I'm going to the store this morning to buy some needles and I'm going to try to aspirate the fluid out.  Although I have a feeling she's going to die anyway, but I will make an attempt.  Indeed, the necropsy is very educational.  I'm not sure what I'm all looking at.  We did a necropsy twice and found impacted gizzard (which seems to be common at our place.) 

Sorry you're going thru this...

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom