Golden Comet Necropsy - need help with what we found

Thank you.

The Golden Comets (we had three; one was killed by a dog in a freak incident, then this one with the euthanasia a few nights ago, and we still have 1) came from a seller in SE North Carolina that buys chicks in bulk from a hatchery, but we're unsure if those chicks were vaccinated, but suspect they likely were.

The rest of our flock has NOT been vaccinated as 70% of them were hatched right here (we only keep about 10 birds in a backyard flock). The few that were not hatched here are 5 and 6 year-old Silkie hens that came from other local flocks over the years but were quarantined prior to insertion in our flock (there are 2 of these); they are as healthy as can be.

I was not aware that Mareks could show up at any time, but being a hatchery chick, I would think this Comet that died was likely vaccinated. The seller bought the chicks in 100-chick lots.
Being vaccinated doesn't prevent the disease. It just hides some of the symptoms.

We wouldn't be able to discern an overly large liver from an overly small liver, but we did address ascites in this same hen last week, draining about 400ml of yellow fluid from her abdomen.
That's what I thought about Mareks, but it makes sense that it could present at any time if the bird has been exposed. We'll watch the other birds closely, especially the last Golden Comet.
We've never had a necropsy done because of the cost, but if the other Comet gets sick and dies, we'll likely do it to know for sure.
Have you checked your state labs price yet?

Here are a few photos, taken in the last 30 minutes, of our remaining Golden Comet, Juice. She rules the roost...
Her sister that we put down the other night looked exactly like her up until about 2 weeks ago, bright-eyed, feathers all in place, eyes sharp and open. We had to put bands on them to tell them apart. There really was no warning of Rocky's problem(s), save the ascites that we discovered about a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_6510.JPG
    IMG_6510.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6508.JPG
    IMG_6508.JPG
    550.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6517.JPG
    IMG_6517.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6521.JPG
    IMG_6521.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6523.JPG
    IMG_6523.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6524.JPG
    IMG_6524.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes. The fee is $30 per bird + $25 disposal + we have to get the bird to the lab (either a 2-hour drive each way, or shipped). It's not really workable for us.
I understand. Please keep a closed flock and I hope you don't have any more losses.

I understand. Please keep a closed flock and I hope you don't have any more losses.
If we lose another, namely the other Comet, I think we MUST get a necropsy done. Our flock is pretty closed now and has pretty much always been that way; we're diligent about quarantine and don't just bring new birds in for the sake of having more birds.

What does anyone think about GMO feed possibly being the cause of this? GMOs are known to cause cancer among MANY other illnesses and ailments in humans and animals alike, I would think chickens are no exception. We do not use GMO feed ever.

Back
Top Bottom