Very Sick Quail! Help please!

marieb1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Hello here is my set up: I have about 20 quail in shaded wire tiered, roll out cages in Phoenix Arizona. Each cage is 2X2 with kitty liter filled poop pans which are 6 inches below the bottom of the cage. There are 4/5 quail in each cage. I clean the poop pans 2 times a day to control flies.

I have notice some of the birds are losing some feathers (figured it was molting, the weather just got warm), then noticed a them standing in the corner sleeping more than normal. Some drooping wings. Figured it was the weather and longer days.

Left for a 3 day hunting trip came home to one bird sitting with her head down, eyes closed, very thin feathers, and panting. I removed her ASAP and she is still laying and panting. Noticed some runny poop when cleaning. I sat for a few moments and observed....saw a bird spitting/vomit, more runny stool and bumble foot which I had not seen before. I also checked for mites but didn't see any. The symptoms are in 3/4 cages.

Can bumble foot cause these symptoms? what going on with my birds. I raise them for eggs and meat and I'm very worried about them.

What can I do to help them? or do I need to start over?

Thank you for any and all help.

Also 25% are about a year old, 25% are unknown age and the other 50% are 12-14 weeks old. Could it be old age (finger crossed) but im sure it something...given my symptoms.

30C wont give them a heat stroke for sure, during the day time these days temperature in Sri Lanka goes up to 38 C and none of my quails had any issues yet.

There was like 5km/hr wind that day with 17% humidity at 1pm when i checked could definitely be a cause, the heat.

Back
Top Bottom