Very slight splayed leg- fix or not?

mcclucker

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
VT
My Coop
My Coop
hatched this BBS ameraucana Monday. The last to hatch. Seemed weak at first, trouble standing, now it is walking and sometimes running but it has a bit of a wide stance and I suspect a bit of splayed leg. Here it is standing. Worth doing the bandaid trick or leave it be at this point? It’s eating well and hanging with the crowd. Has gotten stronger since hatch.
0A4C624E-2948-49E9-B280-B8718CC11245.jpeg

Attachments

• 46A01D8E-9806-45C9-8B2D-6848FB9A9BA4.jpeg
    46A01D8E-9806-45C9-8B2D-6848FB9A9BA4.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Cute chick! :love

In the above pictures, the left leg is twisted inward slightly (toe not pointing straight in front like the other). Is it always like that or was it just the pose?
If it's always like that, I would guess one of the slightest cases of splayed leg I've ever seen. However, there are others that would be more qualified to judge that than I.

I do not think it is to old to attempt a treatment and I would at least try it if you want to keep him/her and not cull. However, I would avoid future breeding if you choose to keep the chick.

Interesting. Here’s the chick today, walking. I do see a slight twist on that same leg. It’s so subtle you really have to look. I don’t breed my chickens, and I don’t cull unless the chick is truly suffering, so I think I’m going to let this little one be. Thanks though - this is only my 2nd hatch and I haven’t had any leg issues before.

Back
Top Bottom